xdi message

Subject: Meta note about TC minutes and our decision point process

XDI TC Members:

As you can probably tell from the length of the minutes from last Friday's call that I just sent out, we are now deep into the decision making process for the XDI 1.0 specs. I wanted to share a few general observations about this process:
  1. It's going to be slower than anyone likes, because decisions are deeper and more permanent than at earlier stages.
  2. The stakes will be growing steadily higher because some decisions will require changes to existing code bases.
  3. As much as we try to break decisions into discrete manageable proposals, some proposals will end out having dependencies with others.
  4. Using the wiki to manage proposals and proposal discussions is going to become more and more important.
  5. We will start needing to have special calls in addition to our weekly calls to advance work on certain proposals, particularly if they become blocking.
  6. If you miss a regular weekly telecon or one of these special telecons, it is particularly important to read the minutes so you know what decisions were discussed or made (all decisions are marked #DECISION).
To that end, I will spend some time this week:
  1. Documenting the proposal and proposal discussion process on the wiki.
  2. Turning more existing wiki pages into formal proposal pages.
  3. Categorizing the proposal pages and curating the decision queue on the wiki so we can minimize our process time and maximize our progress.
=Drummond