xdi message

Subject: Minutes: XDI TC Telecon Friday 2012-07-13

Following are the minutes of the unofficial telecon of the XDI TC at:

Date:  Friday, 13 July 2012 USA
Time:  9:00AM - 10:30AM Pacific Time (16:00-17:30 UTC)

THE ETHERPAD LINK FOR TODAY IS:
     http://piratepad.ca/Pm9LhhdUE3

ATTENDING

Bill Barnhill
Mike Schwartz
Markus Sabadello
Giovanni Bartolomeo
Drummond Reed
Joseph Boyle

REGRETS

Phil Windley

***** NEWS & UPDATES *****

--- WELCOME TO LES CHASEN FROM NEUSTAR

Les is now back as a member of the TC.

--- NEW RESPECT NETWORK FOUNDING PARTNERS

Drummond reported that it will be publicly announced next Monday that Neustar and Swisscom are Respect Network Founding Partners. More info will be on:

  http://respectnetwork.com/

--- OPENXDI

Mike reported that the OX project has been updated to conform to https://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/HttpXdiMessagingBinding,

We noted from last week that the proposal needs to be renamed.

# DRUMMOND - Rename that page to SimpleHttpTransport. (DONE)

# BILL to check with Robin Cover on Jira accounts.

--- ODATA

Giovanni said that he had joined the OData Technical Committee and will help to coordinate our work.

***** PRESENTATIONS *****

None scheduled.

***** DECISION POINT QUEUE REVIEW *****

Drummond added wiki pages to track proposals by priority and by spec, starting with the Serialization spec. See the top of the wiki home page:

   https://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/FrontPage

In terms of priorities for next week:

Mike noted that it was still a high priority for OpenXDI to specify $get filters.

***** DECISION POINTS FOR THIS CALL *****

The top priority for this call is serialization, literal datatyping, and literal encoding rules. This is now a whole set of proposals listed on the Serialization page:

  https://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/CategorySerialization

--- SERIALIZATION FORMATS

   https://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/SerializationFormats

The discussion started about MIME types. This quickly evolved into a long discussion about specifying multiple serialization formats. There was broad agreement that both the proposed formats (XDI Statement and JSON) are useful, but that we need to put the emphasis on only one.

DECISION: We will support only one official XDI serialization format in the XDI 1.0 specs -- the JSON format. The other format - XDI statements in a plain text file - will be a non-normative format called XDI Display format.

# DRUMMOND to update the proposal to make XDI Statement format only a display format.

That still leaves the TC to decide on five proposals:

1) The contexts= parameter for MIME types as proposed in:
   https://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/SerializationFormats

2) The JSON serialization rules as proposed in:
   https://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/JSONSerializationRules

3) The XDI Display format rules as now proposed in:
   https://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/XdiDisplayFormat

4) The literal datatype rules as proposed in:
   https://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/LiteralDatatypeRules

5) The non-normative serialization and display statement order rules as proposed in
   https://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/SerializationStatementOrder

***** TERMINOLOGY *****

We had a brief discussion about the terms "client" and "server" and the terms "messenger" and "endpoint". Bill prefers the latter two terms because they are better understood to be roles.

Mike likes using "messenger and endpoint". Joseph noted that "endpoint" could be ambiguous because it could be either the sender or receiver.

Bill explained that the terminology is particularly useful in looking at having potentially multiple connections open, one in each direction.

Markus prefers "client" over "messenger". Joseph points out that the HTTP specs also use "requester" and "responder".

No decision was made; all TC members should consider these terms, because we want to use one set of terms consistently for these roles throughout the specs.

***** TEST CASES *****

There was a discussion about test cases and how to incorporate them into the XDI spec process.

Mike proposed to use all the test cases from the OpenXDI project.

Several TC members voiced opposition to doing this as it would not be vendor-neutral or projecct-neutral.

Bill suggested that we should agree on a vendor-neutral and project-neutral format for the test cases.

***** NEXT CALL *****

The next call is next week at the regular time.