xdi message

Subject: Minutes: XDI TC Telecon Friday 2012-07-20

Following are the minutes of the unofficial telecon of the XDI TC at:

Date:  Friday, 20 July 2012 USA
Time:  9:00AM - 10:30AM Pacific Time (16:00-17:30 UTC)

ATTENDING

Giovanni Bartolomeo
Bill Barnhill
Markus Sabadello
Les Chasen
Drummond Reed
Joseph Boyle

REGRETS

Mike Schwartz
Phil Windley

THE ETHERPAD LINK FOR TODAY IS:
     http://piratepad.ca/NJpMTChCCk

***** NEWS & UPDATES *****

--- OPENXDI (OX) TEST TOOLS

Bill said that he has been looking at the OX server and OX test tools. His plan is to map the error messages to HTTP status codes. He hopes to have the map ready for the next call.

--- CLOUD IDENTITY SUMMIT

Drummond reported that it was a very busy and content-rich conference. There were no explicit XDI sessions -- the only XDI-related announcement was the Respect Network announcement that Neustar and Swisscom were Founding Partners. However there was lots of coverage of OpenID Connect - and also Craig Burton's controversial pronouncement that "SAML is dead".

***** DECISION POINT QUEUE REVIEW *****

See the top of the wiki home page:

   https://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/FrontPage

--- LITERAL CONTEXTS

Drummond reported that he had a long talk with Mike at the Cloud Identity Summit about the "literal contexts" proposal -- the proposed restriction in the graph model of allowing relational arcs to point to literal nodes (vs. pointing to attribute singleton nodes). This issue is so vital that Mike and Drummond agreed it should go to the top of the queue for the next call.

Bill said that he understands the impact that such a change might make and that the TC should consider it carefully.

Drummond said he would post a separate formal proposal explaining the need for using literal contexts.

--- SERIALIZATION

There is still consensus that we want to complete the additional serialization proposals as soon as possible. We reordered the priority of the remaining proposals to:

1) The JSON Serialization Rules proposal:
   https://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/JSONSerializationRules

2) The Literal Datatype Rules proposal:
   https://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/LiteralDatatypeRules

We agreed to deprioritize the following two proposals as they are non-normative:

1) The XDI Display Format rules proposal:
   https://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/XdiDisplayFormat

2) The non-normative Serialization Statement Order proposal:
   https://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/SerializationStatementOrder

# DRUMMOND to send a separate message to the TC list requesting that any alternative proposals should be posted by next Wednesday.

***** DECISION POINTS FOR THIS CALL *****

The top of the decision queue is currently serialization-related proposals.

  https://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/CategorySerialization

The top priority for this call is the contexts= parameter for MIME types as proposed in:

   https://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/SerializationFormats

Per his action item from last week, Markus posted a set of use cases for the contexts parameter at:

   https://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/SerializationFormats/Discussion

Markus ran through an explanation of his writeup on that page, explaining the advantages of a client being able to request explicit contexts when it needs it and not receive it when it doesn't.

Joseph wondered if the contexts=1 would actually save clients from needing to parse XRIs. There was agreement that that they would not need to be parsed.

Bill suggested we should treat the two options as as two different serialization formats, not options on one format. He believes we should have only one format, whether it is contexts=0 or contexts=1. His biggest concern is that with any time we have a choice of multiple options, we should try to avoid them because it increases complexity.

He put it this way: "What I want is to be able to, when asked the question 'What is the XDI format?' to be able to say that *this* is the XDI format and end the answer, not to have to say something like 'This is the format, iff you have a MIME type parameter of contexts and it's value is 1, and this is the format if the MIME type parameter contexts is absent or 0.'" The more options, the higher complexity, the less adoption, the lower the chance of XDI success.

This is not to say that implementers should be prevented from doing an XDI operation parameter to specify the response is in the equivalent of the contexts=1 format. It simply means that a minimally compliant XDI producer or consumer only needs to handle the one format, the equivalent of contexts=0.

Drummond agreed with Bill's point about eliminating options wherever possible, and that ideally there would be one single serialization format with no parameters for everything. However in this case, Drummond believes both contexts=0 and contexts=1 are needed. He summarized it this way:

So Drummond's recommendation is that XDI endpoints MUST support both contexts=0 or contexts=1, but contexts=0 should be the default (including if is no contexts= parameter present in the request).

Joseph recommends contexts=0 format be normative, and that contexts=1 should be optional. He is also okay with having only contexts=0, i.e., no parameter

Markus recommends that both formats are required, and that the default should be contexts=0.

We agreed to think about it and revisit the proposal next week.

***** NEXT CALL *****

The next call is next week at the regular time.