xdi message

Subject: Minutes: XDI TC Telecon Friday 2012-08-10

Following are the minutes of the unofficial telecon of the XDI TC at:

Date:  Friday, 10 August 2012 USA
Time:  9:00AM - 10:30AM Pacific Time (16:00-17:30 UTC)

ATTENDING

Bill Barnhill
Les Chasen
Giovanni Bartolomeo
Drummond Reed
Joseph Boyle
Phil Windley

REGRETS

Markus Sabadello

THE ETHERPAD LINK FOR TODAY IS:
     http://piratepad.ca/6PxPiyMUZ8

AGENDA

***** NEWS & UPDATES *****

None scheduled.

***** PRESENTATIONS *****

--- XDI DICTIONARY EXAMPLE

Drummond showed an example XDI dictionary he has been working on for a planned Respect Network set of apps.

Giovanni suggested that the XDI global dictionary (the + space) should align with Schema.org terms.

***** DECISION POINT QUEUE REVIEW *****

The decision queue stack is now shown on the following three auto-generated Category pages:

   https://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/CategoryLastCall
   https://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/CategoryCurrent
   https://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/CategoryHighPriority

***** DECISION POINTS FOR THIS CALL *****

This week's decision queue is the following set of proposals:

--- MULTIPLICITY (DRUMMOND)

   https://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/XdiMultiplicity

We had an excellent discussion on multiplicity. Drummond explained the fundamental reasons that multiplicity syntax is required. Bill said he has not had time to formally write up his proposal, but the essence is to use a {set}{member} pattern, where sets do not require special syntax and members of the set are identified with a $ prefix.

Drummond was intrigued by this idea as it could simplify the current multiplicity proposal.

# DRUMMOND to think about Bill's proposal to see how it could simplify multiplicity syntax.

Giovanni then showed how OData and W3C RDB2RDF are both addressing multiplicity. He showed examples of OData query syntax from one of their TC presentations:

•Requesting an Individual Entity by ID
•GET /v2/Catalog/Genres('Adventures') HTTP/1.1

•Requesting an Individual Property
•GET /v2/Catalog/Genres('Adventures')/Name HTTP/1.1

•Requesting an Individual Property Raw Value
•GET /v2/Catalog/Genres('Adventures')/Name/$value HTTP/1.1

He also noted the OData approach to query filtering:

GET /v2/Catalog/Titles?$filter= Name eq 'The Sting' HTTP/1.1

(from https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/46573/OData%20Overview%202012-7-26.pptx )

Finally the W3C approach to identify record with ID#7 in the table People they use:
http://foo.example/DB/People/ID=7

(from http://www.w3.org/TR/rdb-direct-mapping/ )

--- XDI ADD OPERATION (MARKUS)

   https://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/AddOperation

Markus was not able to make the call so we will take this up in our next call.

***** NEXT CALL *****

As agreed on the last call, we will be taking a two-week summer break, so the next call will be Friday August 31.