xdi message

Subject: Minutes: XDI TC Telecon Friday 2012-11-16

Following are the minutes of the unofficial telecon of the XDI TC at:

Date:  Friday, 16 November 2012 USA
Time:  9:00AM - 10:30AM Pacific Time (16:00-17:30 UTC)

ATTENDING

Markus Sabadello
Drummond Reed
Joseph Boyle
Les Chasen

GUESTS

Animesh Chowdhury

REGRETS

Giovanni Bartolomeo

THE ETHERPAD LINK FOR TODAY IS:

     http://piratepad.ca/DelHUrBn8D

***** NEWS & UPDATES *****

--- ODATA REPORT

Although Giovanni was not able to attend today's call, Drummond reported that Giovanni had sent him a note about the OData work at OASIS. Giovanni said that OData is using structured identifiers and a REST model for data sharing, so there is increasing synergy with XDI. Giovanni suggests that we investigate this further.

Joesph pointed out one OData document that's illustrative of how OData works:

  http://www.odata.org/media/30002/OData.html#datamodification

The key difference is that XDI is working from a semantic graph model, and all our operations fit within that model. But there was agreement that we should continue to pursue figuring out how best to achieve synergy with OData.

--- FLUID DATABASE

Les recommended looking at fluidinfo.com

***** DECISION POINTS FOR THIS CALL *****

This week's decision queue is the following set of proposals:

--- XDI GRAPH ABNF AND PARSING XDI STATEMENTS

Markus led a discussion about the ABNF for the XDI graph model. The motivation was that Michael Andronov was implementing XDI statements in his graph model and pointed out that we didn't have an explicit rule in our XDI Graph Model ABNF that defines an XDI statement.

We reviewed the following from Markus' email, with the substitution of "xdi-context" for "xdi-node":

xdi-address = xdi-context / xdi-statement
xdi-context = xdi-segment
xdi-statement = xdi-subject "/" xdi-predicate "/" xdi-object
xdi-subject = xdi-segment
xdi-predicate = xdi-segment
xdi-object = xdi-segment
xdi-segment = ( literal / xdi-subseg ) *xdi-subseg
xdi-subseg = xdi-global-subseg / xdi-local-subseg / xdi-xref
xdi-global-subseg = gcs-char [ xdi-local-subseg / xdi-xref / literal ]
xdi-local-subseg = lcs-char [ xdi-xref / literal ]
xdi-xref = "(" [ xdi-xref-value ] ")"
xdi-xref-value = xdi-address / iri

Note that it is parallel to the XRI 3.0 ABNF and shares the following productions with it:

Markus also noted that the order of the tokens in the ABNF could be adjusted to make it work with standard parsers.

Joseph pointed out that the area of parsing that takes the most processing time is the IRI grammar - it's much more complex than the XRI ABNF rules.

Markus agrees that performance must be addressed by implementations.

# DRUMMOND and MARKUS will turn this into a formal proposal on the TC wiki.

[Note: this has already been posted as https://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/XdiAbnf ]

# DRUMMOND will send a note to the list when this is posted.

--- EQUIVALENCE LINKS AND $IS RESOLUTION (DRUMMOND & MARKUS)

This has now been written up as a formal proposal:

   https://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/EquivalenceLinks

# DRUMMOND to remove the "statement math" sentence and add more text about the motivation for compact links (Privacy by Design) and the motivation for $get! is convenience for the client.

[Note: both actions now done.]

# MARKUS to add rules for $add!, $mod!, $del!

--- XDI MESSAGING PATTERNS (MARKUS)

   https://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/XdiMessagePatterns

# MARKUS will create an additional proposal for the $get operation.

***** DECISION POINT QUEUE REVIEW *****

The decision queue stack is now shown on the following three auto-generated Category pages:

   https://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/CategoryLastCall
   https://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/CategoryCurrent
   https://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/CategoryHighPriority

It was agreed that after closing on the Equivalence Links and ABNF proposals, we should continue with the XDI Messaging proposal and its related operation proposals and try to finish this before the holiday break.

***** NEXT CALL *****

We will take a break for the U.S. Thanksgiving holiday next week, so the next call will in two weeks on November 30th.