xdi message

Subject: Minutes: XDI TC Telecon Friday 2012-11-30

Following are the minutes of the unofficial telecon of the XDI TC at:

Date:  Friday, 30 November 2012 USA

Time:  9:00AM - 10:30AM Pacific Time (16:00-17:30 UTC)

ATTENDING

Bill Barnhill

Phil Windley

Markus Sabadello

Drummond Reed

Joseph Boyle

GUESTS

Animesh Chowdhury

Mark Horstmeier

Jessie Morris

THE ETHERPAD LINK FOR TODAY IS:

     http://piratepad.net/7YnxeMD3KF

***** PRESENTATIONS/DISCUSSIONS *****

Drummond Reed and Les Chasen are Salt Lake City this week working with Phil Windley and his team at Kynetx, and the Kynetx team requested that we hold a special discussion on XDI Dictionaries (see https://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/XdiDictionaryPatterns). We invited Kynetx development team members Mark Horstmeier and Jessie Morris to join us as invited guests for this discussion.

We reviewed two documents – the first was an example of the JSON data structures that Kynetx would like to describe in an XDI dictionary:

  https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2220189/myCloud/myCloudSchemata.js

The second was a Google spreadsheet called "XDI Dictionary for Contact Data":

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Atjr1ktUJEjodDdHeXFVWGxDSlpMeXRYeldZQTBTSnc

We discussed the dictionary patterns used in the Google spreadsheet, which are illustrated graphically in the XDI Graph Model document:

  https://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/XdiGraphModel

We reviewed how dictionary entries representing attribute singletons are defined, and also how to define attribute singletons as properties of an entity singleton.

Once we completed this review, Bill asked how these definitions correspond to well-known data modeling languages such as UML, in particular composition and aggregation. We looked at examples showing how composition is modeled using subcontexts) and aggregation is modeled using $has relations. Bill felt it was important that these concepts were stated clearly in the XDI Dictionary spec.

Bill also recommended that for example dictionaries such as contact data, we should reference existing ontologies such as FOAF and SIOC.

Lastly, Bill suggested that we need to specify how validation of instances is performed from dictioanary entries so that the process is interoperable.

# DRUMMOND to move these proposed dictionary patterns forward into a formal proposal.

***** DECISION POINTS FOR THIS CALL *****

This week's decision queue is the following set of proposals:

--- EQUIVALENCE LINKS AND $IS RESOLUTION (DRUMMOND & MARKUS)

This has now been written up as a formal proposal:

   https://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/EquivalenceLinks

We didn’t end out with time to discuss this further and will take it up again on next week’s call.

--- XDI MESSAGING PATTERNS (MARKUS)

   https://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/XdiMessagePatterns

Bill sent feedback on the list; we will take it up again on next week’s call.

***** DECISION POINT QUEUE REVIEW *****

The decision queue stack is now shown on the following three auto-generated Category pages:

   https://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/CategoryLastCall

   https://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/CategoryCurrent

   https://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/CategoryHighPriority

See also this list of proposals that need to be developed:

   https://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/XdiPendingIssues

***** NEXT CALL *****

The next call is next week at the regular time.