xdi message

Subject: Minutes: XDI TC Telecon Friday 2012-12-07

Following are the minutes of the unofficial telecon of the XDI TC at:

Date:  Friday, 07 December 2012 USA
Time:  9:00AM - 10:30AM Pacific Time (16:00-17:30 UTC)

ATTENDING

Bill Barnhill
Phil Windley
Markus Sabadello
Drummond Reed
Joseph Boyle

GUESTS

Animesh Chowdhury

THE ETHERPAD LINK FOR TODAY IS:

     http://piratepad.net/7cvuKtsetf

***** NEWS & UPDATES *****

--- PROCESS PROPOSAL FROM BILL

   https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xdi/201211/msg00048.html

We put this off until next week's call.

***** PRESENTATIONS/DISCUSSIONS *****

--- USING LINK CONTRACTS FOR EVENT CHANNEL AUTHORIZATION

Drummond presented an example of how XDI link contracts can be used to provide authorization and access control for event channels.

Bill suggested that the access control model we should reference is the IETF COPS-PR. In particular, this model should answer the questions:

Phil explained that what the Kynetx KRE engine needs is the ability to attenuate event signals. In particular, this means how to filter for:

It was agreed that we should next prepare a set of examples that illustrate how to do this, and then discuss how they can be optimized for performance.

--- USING DISCUSSION PAGES

Markus asked how tightly we should try to stick to the policy we established that discussions of proposals should be captured on the Discussion page for each proposal on the wiki.

Our conclusion was that it is fine if discussion takes place on the mailing list, and we don't have to include all details of each mailing list discussion on the Discussion page of the proposal on the wiki, but we should:

***** DECISION POINTS FOR THIS CALL *****

This week's decision queue is the following set of proposals:

--- EQUIVALENCE LINKS AND $IS RESOLUTION (DRUMMOND & MARKUS)

   https://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/EquivalenceLinks

We reviewed the Discussion page for the proposal.

  https://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/EquivalenceLinks/Discussion

Bill reminded everyone that a key goal is that we should be semantically precise so that XDI will support semantic reasoning. His concern is that if we add too much complexity to verbs, it won't support semantic reasoning, and we'll have to refactor, and that could be fatal.

The key to avoiding that mistake is to stay simple.

Drummond agreed with Bill and explained his view that since $is and $is! are two separate nodes in the graph, they can have distinct semantics.

Bill explained that the real point is decideability -- we need to make sure that the definitions we create result in a system where reasoning on the graph is decidable.

Drummond asked whether the potential for multiple $is statements to create a loop (a cycle in the graph) is itself a problem. Bill said no. Rather he gave an example of when one class of thiings implies something about a second class of things, and a third class of things implies something about a second class of things, and those two implications conflict.

We then discussed this point Bill made on the disucssion page:

  "I think it is important that whenever we define our binary relations/predicates we explicitly say which of the following they are: symmetric, asymmetric (differs from non-symmetric), transitive, reflexive, irreflexive (differs from not necessarily reflexive), functional, inverse functional."

Drummond asked whether the same XDI predicate could have a different meaning at a logical level vs. a graph traversal level. Bill called this the difference between "implication" and "graph traversal".

Phil said it would be best to avoid this if possible.

Markus said that another consideration that helped him in thinking through the behavior of $is arcs for this proposal was the design of XDI Resolution 2.0. Drummond agreed -- its treatment of synonyms and canonical identifiers mirrors this discussion very closely.

We concluded that we all need to think on this, send thoughts to the mailing list, and revisit the proposal next week.

***** DECISION POINT QUEUE REVIEW *****

The decision queue stack is now shown on the following three auto-generated Category pages:

   https://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/CategoryLastCall
   https://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/CategoryCurrent
   https://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/CategoryHighPriority

See also this list of proposals that need to be developed:

   https://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/XdiPendingIssues

***** NEXT CALL *****

The next call is next week at the regular time.