xdi message

Subject: Re: [xdi] Splitting $is into $is and $ref

I think I understand, so an XDI server would automatically follow $ref arcs the way it is following $is arcs now?
What would an XDI server do when it encounters a $is arc?
Wouldn't there be many cases where you'd need both a $is arc and a $ref arc, therefore making the graphs bigger than they are today?
Would there still be a distinction between public/standard and private/compact equivalence links, e.g. $ref and $ref! ?

What would the "I am" statements look like?
Currently they look like this:

(=!91F2.8153.F600.AE24)/$is/()
()/$is$is/(=!91F2.8153.F600.AE24)

Markus