xdi message

Subject: Minutes: XDI TC Telecon Friday 2013-01-11

Following are the minutes of the unofficial telecon of the XDI TC at:

Date:  Friday, 1 January 2013 USA
Time:  9:00AM - 10:30AM Pacific Time (16:00-17:30 UTC)

ATTENDING

Markus Sabadello
Les Chasen
Bill Barnhill
Joseph Boyle

REGRETS

Giovanni Bartolomeo

GUESTS

Animesh Chowdhury

THE ETHERPAD LINK FOR TODAY IS:

     http://piratepad.net/vXh5as0aD3

***** PRESENTATIONS/DISCUSSIONS *****

--- ABNF FOR INNER LOCAL ROOT ADDRESSING

In a discussion this week, Markus and Drummond realized there was an elegant solution to the question of how to address inside a cross-reference. There are several use cases for this, including being able to reference a literal value in an incoming XDI message for purposes of evaluating that value in a link contract policy _expression_.

This solution requires exactly one change to the XDI graph ABNF. See:

   https://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/XdiAbnf/Discussion

We started by discussing the particular use case mentioned above, in which a link contract policy _expression_ requires a literal value to be added to an XDI graph in a message to be compared to a value stored in the target graph.

We then reviewed the proposed syntax -- a cross reference containing only the subject and predicate identifying the inner root graph. We compared several options and Drummond explained why this one is the most accurate, since it is the union of all three-segment cross-references that are the object of statement.

There was a general consensus that Markus and Drummond should write it up on the wiki as a formal proposal, including the use cases they considered, examples of its usage, and the analysis of why this is the best syntactic option.

***** DECISION POINTS FOR THIS CALL *****

This week's decision queue is the following set of proposals:

--- EQUIVALENCE LINKS AND REFERENCE LINKS (DRUMMOND & MARKUS)

   https://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/EquivalenceLinks

This proposal has been updated to reflect the consensus to use two different XDI verbs - $ref and $is - to express two different kinds of equivalence.

Note also this paper referenced by Giovanni Bartolomeo:

   http://iswc2010.semanticweb.org/pdf/261.pdf

Bill requested that we not move this proposal into last call yet as he would like to decompose it into several component proposals.

Giovanni sent a message to the list that, while he wasn't able to attend the call, and he does agree that $is and $ref should be separated, he feels that $ref should have semantics that align with the paper cited above. Drummond volunteered to provide an answer to Giovanni's point in an email to the list.

--- XDI POLICY _expression_ (DRUMMOND & MARKUS)

Following on the discussion on the last TC telecon, a formal proposal has been posted for declarative policy expressions (vs. the former proposal to use _javascript_ expressions):

   https://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/XdiPolicyExpression

Although we did not have time to fully review this proposal yet, we did take a look at several of the examples as part of the Inner Local Root addressing discussion above. We will go into this further next week.

***** DECISION POINT QUEUE REVIEW *****

The decision queue stack is now shown on the following three auto-generated Category pages:

   https://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/CategoryLastCall
   https://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/CategoryCurrent
   https://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/CategoryHighPriority

See also this list of proposals that need to be developed:

   https://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/XdiPendingIssues

***** NEXT CALL *****

The next call is next week at the regular time.