xdi message

Subject: Minutes: XDI TC Telecon Friday 2013-03-01

XDI TC Minutes

Following are the minutes of the unofficial telecon of the XDI TC at:

Date:  Friday, 01 March 2013 USA
Time:  09:00AM - 10:30AM Pacific Time (17:00-18:30 UTC)

ATTENDING

Les Chasen
Animesh Chowdhury
Markus Sabadello
Drummond Reed
Joseph Boyle

REGRETS
Phil Windley (who tried but could not get into the call)

NEWS & UPDATES

WELCOME TO ANIMESH CHOWDHURY, NEUSTAR

Animesh has formally joined the TC and will be working in particular on policy _expression_.

PRESENTATIONS/DISCUSSIONS

FILE SYNCHRONIZATION

We discussed how XDI data synchronization could be combined with conventional file synchronization (e.g., Dropbox, Owncloud). The following points were raised:

DECISION POINTS FOR THIS CALL

This week's decision queue is the following set of proposals:

ABNF UPDATES (DRUMMOND, MARKUS, JOSEPH)

We continued discussion on the key items raised on the list over the past week.

 https://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/XdiAbnf

 https://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/XdiAbnf/Discussion

We discussed the issue of the why the Interactive APG parser is treating =markus$!(+email) as three subgraphs:

Drummond asked why =markus$!(+email) was not treated as four subgraphs:

Markus explained that the source of the problem was the special rules around $, because $ is valid as a subgraph/subsegment all by itself. Drummond noted the same was true for +, =, and @, yet the parser does not seem to have problem with those global context symbol delimiters.

Markus asked if we could change

specific                = "$" [ xdi-literal ]

specific                = "$" xdi-literal

This eliminates ambiguity and appears to make ABNF-based parsers work correctly.

Drummond asked about this string: =markus+!(+email)$!(+tel)/!/(data:,...)
Markus tested it with the APG ABNF parser and it worked - the +!(+email) string was seen as a single subgraph.

Drummond asked whether the current form of the Full Graph ABNF is causing the $ problem because it breaks down all the rules to starting with a single delimiter. He suggested trying a version of the ABNF that goes to the other extreme and includes all the delimiter patterns that can be matched directly.

# DRUMMOND to create this alternative version so we can test it to see if it changes the behavior of the APG parser.
We next discussed the literal-context rule problem. As we currently have the ABNF,
=markus$!(+email)/!/(data:,...) does not match the xdi-statement rule because
=markus$!(+email) does not match the attr-singleton-context rule.

attr-singleton-context  = [ peer ] *( [ attribute-singleton ] 1*non-attr-singleton ) 1*attribute-singleton

Markus noted that that rule can be simplified to:

attr-singleton-context  = [ peer ] *( attribute-singleton / non-attr-singleton ) attribute-singleton

It is not yet clear how to solve this issue.

Lastly, we discussed the proposed new terminal-context rule.

terminal-context        = literal-context "()"

Markus asked if the terminal () was considered a subgraph. Drummond’s said no - in the XDI graph model, it is not a literal node.

A sample operation in a message would be:

=sender$($msg)$(!1)$do/$get/=markus$!(+email)()

Markus was not in favor of this approach because the () appears too much like a new context.

# DRUMMOND will develop a new proposal that will not be confused with a new context.

XDI MESSAGE PATTERNS (MARKUS & DRUMMOND)

Last week Drummond updated the XDI Message Patterns proposal page and formally added the Parameters pattern section.

https://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/XdiMessagePatterns

It was agreed that the revised page made the message template easier for newcomers to understand, and to reference from the sections of the page.
# MARKUS - to add a variable called <result-type> to the OPERATION line and a corresponding section to the page explaining how to control result types.
# ALL - Review this page to see if there are any open issues, otherwise we’ll put it into Last Call after next week.

PROXY DISCOVERY (DRUMMOND & MARKUS)

Last week, Drummond updated the Discovery proposal to include the very simple rules for proxy discovery:

https://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/XdiDiscovery

# DRUMMOND AND MARKUS - Add any other details about proxy discovery that may be needed.

DECISION POINT QUEUE REVIEW

The decision queue stack is now shown on the following three auto-generated Category pages:

 https://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/CategoryLastCall

 https://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/CategoryCurrent

 https://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/CategoryHighPriority

See also this list of proposals that need to be developed:

 https://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/XdiPendingIssues

NEXT CALL

The next call is next week at the regular time.