xdi message

Subject: Re: [xdi] Exciting breakthrough: the JSON Model

Animesh, I do very much agree with you. It's the kind of breakthrough that makes it even more exciting to be working on XDI.

And I should thank you and Joseph for some of the questions and discussion on last Friday's telecon that helped inspire it. In particular, it was your question about "the programming object model for XDI" that got me thinking that, while the ContextFunctions model was pretty good, it would be better if the programmatic model for processing XDI graphs was even simpler. That's what got me focused in further on the programming model for processing JSON data.

I talked to Markus about this and he agreed we should produce, even if it is non-normative, a reference programming object model for XDI (Markus did a full UML model back for our original RDF graph model). In fact I think we should publish it as soon as we can as one of our Informative wiki pages.

I think that the model is as simple as the four XDI context functions on the JsonModel page:
  1. Root context objects.
  2. Member context objects.
  3. Element context objects.
  4. Value context objects.
Obviously it's the value context objects that contain (or reference) the actual values (XDI literals) in the graph. All the other objects just define the graph structure.

Is that how you see it? Who would like to volunteer to do the UML model for this?

=Drummond