xdi message

Subject: Final Syntax Choices - Please Vote ASAP (takes only seconds)

Though I'm still working on the minutes from today's excellent TC telecon, the key takeaway is that we are within hours of a final syntax decision. We have consensus on 3 of the 5 symbols we need (literal = colon; ordered instance = hash; definition = percent sign).

That leaves just the attribute and singleton symbols.

To make this easy, in this email (and on the Syntax Examples page) I have included examples of the two combinations of attribute/singleton symbols that received the most votes on today's call. I have also included two variants of each: one in special-to-general order and one is general-to-special order (relative to the table in GraphModelStructure).

SO, YOUR ACTION ITEM IS TO LOOK OVER THE FOUR OPTIONS BELOW (#1A, #1B, #2A, #2B), and then reply back to the list with your:
  1. FIRST PREFERENCE
  2. SECOND PREFERENCE
Alternately, if there is a different set of symbols you decide you prefer, please reply back with that.

Thanks,

=Drummond

Attribute = Semicolon and Singleton = Comma

Attribute symbol

;

Singleton symbol

,

Literal symbol

:

Ordered instance symbol

#

Definition symbol

%

OPTION #1A: Symbol Ordering: Special-to-General

=markus+;,email/$ref/
   =markus+;email!9876
=markus+home+;,email/$ref/
   =markus+;email!5432
=markus+work+;,email/$ref/
   =markus+;email!9876
=markus+;email!5432:/:/
   "ms@example.com"
=markus+;email!9876:/:/
   "markus@example.net"
=markus+;email!9876$;,t:/:/
   "2013-04-11T10:11:12Z"
=markus+address!4567+;street#1:/:/
   "123 Main St"
=markus+address!4567+;street#2:/:/
   "Apt 23"
=markus+address!4567+;,city:/:/
   "Vienna"
=markus+address!4567+;,country:/:/
   "Austria"
=markus+address!4567$;,t:/:/
   "2013-04-11T10:11:12Z"
%+;email/$is+/
   $string
%@example%+;email$;xbnf#1:/:/
   "1*DIGIT '@example.com'"

OPTION #1B: Symbol Ordering: General-to-Special

[...]

Attribute = Ampersand and Singleton = Pipe

Attribute symbol

&

Singleton symbol

Literal symbol

:

Ordered instance symbol

#

Definition symbol

%

OPTION #2A: Symbol Ordering: Special-to-General

[...]

OPTION #2B: Symbol Ordering: General-to-Special