xdi message

Subject: Re: [xdi] Minutes: XDI TC Telecon Friday 2013-04-19

I think this shows more than ever that we need to accept that references can and should have less detail than definitions, and start distinguishing the two.

On Apr 22, 2013, at 4:07 PM, "Chasen, Les" <les.chasen@neustar.biz> wrote:

Wow … you can't have simple namespace delegation anymore?

From: Drummond Reed <drummond.reed@xdi.org>
Date: Monday, April 22, 2013 5:32 PM
To: Markus Sabadello <markus.sabadello@xdi.org>
Cc: OASIS - XDI TC <xdi@lists.oasis-open.org>, Phil Windley <pjw@kynetx.com>

- Community names such as =neustar*les don't work anymore, because the instance *les can't follow the singleton =neustar. Do you have any idea on how to solve this?

Markus and I talked about this for nearly an hour. The bottom line is that to be consistent with the full XDI graph model, *names and !numbers need to behave consistently as instances, which means they only follow a class (in square brackets). So it means that community names need to specify the class before the instance, e.g., =neustar[+employee]*les. Or they can use a cross-reference such as =neustar=(les). Or, for a pure name registry, it would be an instance of the mutable ID class, e.g., =neustar[*]*les. (Ugly but semantically consistent.)