xdi message

Subject: Fwd: [odata] JSON on it's way to a first class citizen in the std-world

Should we monitor or get involved with this?

Begin forwarded message:

From: Stefan Drees <stefan@drees.name>
Date: May 19, 2013, 7:02:24 PDT
To: "odata@lists.oasis-open.org" <odata@lists.oasis-open.org>

In case this is of interest for our JSON side of life and some like me did not already take notice:

Finally the JSON RFC shall be put on the standards track.

Proposed Charter for "_javascript_ Object Notation" (json) WG is at
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-json/ (charter-ietf-json-00-01 last updated 2013-05-17).

The working group is in status External review.

The only change in the charter as compared to charter-ietf-json-00-00 (not having diff'ed but read side by side) seems to be the new inserted second last paragraph:
"""
The resulting document will be jointly published as an RFC and by ECMA.
ECMA participants will be participating in the working group editing
through the normal process of working group participation.  The responsible
AD will coordinate the approval process with ECMA so that the versions
of the document that are approved by each body are the same.
"""

Interesting wording in the charter:
"""
It is acknowledged that there are differences between RFC 4627 and the
ECMAScript specification in the rules for parsing JSON. Any changes that
break compatibility with existing implementations of either RFC 4627 or
the ECMAScript specification will need to have very strong justification
and broad support. All differences between RFC 4627 or the current
ECMAScript specification will be documented in the new RFC. This
documentation will include both the WG consensus for the rationale of
the changes and the expected impact of the changes.
"""

First IESG Telechat is now scheduled to be 2013-05-30.

A chat trace from the json BoF meeting on 2013-03-11 is at http://www.ietf.org/jabber/logs/json/2013-03-11.html

PS: There is an ATOM feed for the proposed json WG ;-) eg. also on the charter page: http://datatracker.ietf.org/feed/group-changes/json/

All the best,

Stefan.