xdi message

Subject: Minutes: XDI TC Telecon Friday 2013-06-28

XDI TC Minutes

Following are the minutes of the unofficial telecon of the XDI TC at:

Date:  Friday, 28 June 2013 USA
Time:  09:00AM - 10:30AM Pacific Time (16:00-17:30 UTC)

ATTENDING

Markus Sabadello

Drummond Reed

Joseph Boyle

Les Chasen

Dan Blum

REGRETS

Phil Windley

Peter Davis

NEWS & UPDATES

CLOUD IDENTITY SUMMIT JULY 8-12 NAPA CA

Drummond, Les, and Dan plan to attend, and Joseph may be able to come for a day.

PRESENTATIONS/DISCUSSIONS

SPEC TEMPLATE DISCUSSION

Joseph requested and we have received templates for our first five specs. See the updated list at:

 https://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/XdiOneSpecs

Joseph noted that the templates are currently in OpenOffice, and that Paul Knight just sent them to us in DocBook format.

Drummond suggested that each spec editing team do a wiki page to work out the overall structure of their spec.

Joseph suggested that for the very first stage, the editors for each spec just collaborate on filling the templates with the initial content, then after that we should start figuring out collaboration. That invited questions about whether we do actually want to use the Docbook template or use the OpenOffice template.

# JOSEPH AND DRUMMOND - contact Chet and Paul for further discussion about template formats.

RDF VS XDI ADDRESSING ANALYSIS

Drummond shared a new pair of diagrams that illustrated the difference in addressability between RDF and XDI graphs. There were two suggestions about these diagrams:

  1. Markus pointed out that blank nodes are not any different than URI reference nodes in terms of nesting. Drummond agreed he needs to update the diagram to reflect this.

  2. There was a general consensus that we should not use the term “value node” because it’s too confusing with an actual value, which only appears at a literal node.

To solve this problem, there were two suggestions:

  1. Drummond suggested that the four node types could all use single-letter prefixes, i.e., r-node, c-node, v-node, and l-node.

  2. Joseph suggested that value nodes could be called “final nodes”, explaining that it matches similar terminology in Java class hierarchies.

We agreed to cook on this and revisit on the mailing list.

NEW VISUAL GUIDE TO XDI GRAPHS

Base on the approach started in the XDI Graph Patterns document, Drummond proposed that we create a non-normative Visual Guide to XDI. This document would be intended for a wider audience, and would walk readers step-by-step through key XDI concepts using the visual graph model for illustrations.

DECISION POINTS FOR THIS CALL

This week's decision queue is the following set of proposals:

ABNF & JSON SERIALIZATION FORMATS

Drummond and Joseph agreed that they need to work together to finalize the ABNF and begin moving the content into the specification. Drummond also noted that we need to add XDI scheme support to the = and @ context symbols per our last telcon.

# DRUMMOND AND JOSEPH to schedule time to collaborate on the spec.

XDI SECURITY PATTERNS

Dan noted that he and Peter are preparing to review XDI security requirements with peers active in OpenID Connect and UMA at the Cloud Identity Summit.

DECISION POINT QUEUE REVIEW

The decision queue stack is shown on the following three auto-generated Category pages:

  https://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/CategoryLastCall

  https://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/CategoryCurrent

  https://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/CategoryHighPriority

See also this list of proposals that need to be developed:

  https://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/XdiPendingIssues

NEXT CALL

Since next week’s call will fall on the day after the U.S. 4th of July holiday, there will be no call next week. The following week’s call comes on the final day of the Cloud Identity Summit so there will be no call that day either. So we will have a 2-week early summer break.