xdi message

Subject: Re: [xdi] Identifying dogs and things

I don't understand why actual things would not have a persistent identifier.  IMO things need "entity" clouds that are not really different than personal and organization clouds.    I don't think a "thing" belongs in a dictionary.  A dictionary contains definitions that describe a type of thing not the actual thing itself.

My car is an actual thing.  It should be discoverable.  It should be able to have relationships. It should be portable.  It has  persistence.

From: Drummond Reed <drummond.reed@xdi.org>
Date: Tuesday, November 26, 2013 11:58 AM
To: Les Chasen <les.chasen@neustar.biz>
Cc: "Chowdhury, Animesh" <Animesh.Chowdhury@neustar.biz>, Markus Sabadello <markus.sabadello@xdi.org>, OASIS - XDI TC <xdi@lists.oasis-open.org>

The shift in * semantics under XDI means that there is now a case for *names to be in a dictionary service for discoverability.

Interestingly, there is a direct precedence for this in Wikipedia: they have articles on both generic subjects (e.g., glaciers, hypochondria) and specific instances (Picasso's Guernica, Munch's Scream). So XDI dictionaries could contain entries for both +words and *words.

I believe, as with + words, that * words would not map to persistent identifiers, since the semantics of the word itself are what persists.

Thoughts?