xdi message

Subject: Minutes: XDI TC Telecon Friday 2014-03-14

Apologies for sending this late, just to be clear, these are the minutes from LAST week.

XDI TC Minutes

Following are the minutes of the unofficial telecon of the XDI TC at:

Date:  Friday, 14 March 2014 USA
Time:  09:00AM - 10:30AM Pacific Time (16:00-17:30 UTC)

ATTENDING

Drummond Reed
Markus Sabadello
Hubert Le Van Gong
Joseph Boyle
Andy Dale
Dan Blum
Peter Davis
Phil Windley

GUESTS

Matthew Sutton

NEWS & UPDATES

None scheduled.

PRESENTATIONS/DISCUSSIONS

XDI Signatures

Peter Davis, Dan Blum, and Andy Dale have worked on the XDI Signature spec, see the following links:

https://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/XdiSignature

https://docs.google.com/a/respectnetwork.net/document/d/151AZzk3utBchQ-4wa7PxlieMg4KfHBUozI9vCrWV0e0/edit

Peter explained that he had made a number of changes to proposal, including: Using byte ordering instead of ASCII ordering to produce a canonicalized string for signing.

Peter also changed the proposal to use the XDI DISPLAY format instead of XDI/JSON. The primary reason for this change was that the wiki specifies multiple XDI/JSON formats (flat, tree, parse), and it would be too challenging to develop signature profiles for all of them.

Markus was worried about using XDI DISPLAY for signature, because so far we had assumed that XDI/JSON would be required for XDI implementations, whereas XDI DISPLAY would be optional.

Peter asked whether there was a unique identifier on an XDI messages, which for the purpose of signing could act as a nonce. Drummond explained that every message is identified by a UUID (a member in an unordered XDI collection).

We also discussed that the JOSE (_javascript_ Object Signing and Encryption) specification could be used to sign XDI data. This however would mean that signatures would only be supported on the XDI/JSON format(s), and that the signatures would be outside the graph, i.e. not XDI-addressable.

Peter mentioned that based on the relevant specs (XDI Signatures, and XDI Security Mechanisms), conformance statements will be formulated. This is required for all OASIS specs.

Link Contract Addressing

Let’s continue discussion on the new link contract patterns:

https://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/LinkContractPattern

https://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/LinkContractPattern/Discussion

We did not have time to discuss this topic.

I-JSON and JSON Schema

Within the XDI2 project, the potential use of I-JSON and JSON Schema for the XDI/JSON serialization format has come up. Let’s discuss if this makes sense and how these two technologies fit in.

We did not have time to discuss this topic.

Next Steps on Working Drafts

We will discuss the additions/corrections we want to make to produce XDI Core 1.0 Working Draft 02, including:

We did not have time to discuss this topic.

DECISION POINTS FOR THIS CALL

None scheduled.

DECISION POINT QUEUE REVIEW

The decision queue stack is shown on the following three auto-generated Category pages:

  https://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/CategoryLastCall

  https://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/CategoryCurrent

  https://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/CategoryHighPriority

See also this list of proposals that need to be developed:

  https://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/XdiPendingIssues

NEXT CALL

The next call is next week at the regular time.