xdi message

Subject: Re: [xdi] XDI errors (was Re: [xdi-chair] Friday agenda items)

Hi Markus,

By errors, I meant protocol-level errors. Those should be documented in the Core spec rather than the Binding spec. The only errors the Binding spec is concerned with are transport ones and those are already defined by the HTTP status codes.
For the protocol-level errors, my question was more about the “how" rather than the “what”. In other words, how do we convey XDI protocol errors? Does the Core spec define a standard structure for error reporting?

Thanks,
Hubert

--
Hubert A. Le Van Gong
Neustar Inc. / Distinguished Engineer
San Jose, CA 95129
USA
email: hubert.levangong@neustar.biz
tel: +1.858.352.3115

From: Markus Sabadello <markus.sabadello@xdi.org>
Date: Friday, May 30, 2014 at 4:04 AM
To: Peter Davis <peter.davis@neustar.biz>
Cc: OASIS - XDI TC <xdi@lists.oasis-open.org>

Hello,

Unfortunately I won't be able to join the TC call today, so here are a few thoughts about errors.

My sense that some errors will be specified in the Messaging spec, and some errors in the Binding spec. And probably other errors in other specs. It's a similar discussion as with the $ words. Should all $ words be collected and defined in one place, or should they be defined in individual specs where they belong. Same with errors.

We don't have a list of errors anywhere as far as I know.

Here's a rough list of what I currently have in XDI2, but I think this needs to become much more detailed/specific:

- Xdi2GraphException: You're trying to perform an invalid operation on a graph (e.g. add a $ref arc to a non-empty node).
- Xdi2ClientException: You tried to send a message to an XDI server and it didn't work (either something didn't work on your end, or the XDI server reported an error).
- Xdi2ParseException: A serialized graph couldn't be parsed
- Xdi2MessagingException: A problem occurred while executing a message (there are many possible reasons for this)
- Xdi2AuthenticationException: A message contained a secret token or signature or something like that, and it couldn't be validated
- Xdi2NotAuthorizedException: An operation on the graph is not allowed (link contract violation)
- Xdi2TransportException: Something went wrong in the binding (e.g. a message is sent to an HTTP URI that's not an XDI endpoint)
- Xdi2Exception and Xdi2RuntimeException: Various other errors not covered by the above.

If someone has time, a useful exercise would probably be to look at all occurrences of those exceptions in the XDI2 code and then make a list of all error conditions.

Markus