xdi message

Subject: Minutes: XDI TC Telecon Friday 2014-05-30

XDI TC Minutes

Following are the minutes of the unofficial telecon of the XDI TC at:

Date:  Friday, 30 May 2014 USA
Time:  09:00AM - 10:30AM Pacific Time (16:00-17:30 UTC)

ATTENDING

Peter Davis

Hubert Le van Gong

Joseph Boyle

Les Chasen

Drummond Reed

Animesh Chowdhury

Dan Blum

Brian Wu

GUESTS

REGRETS

Markus Sabadello

NEWS & UPDATES

None scheduled.

PRESENTATIONS/DISCUSSIONS

Report from XDI Editors Subcommittee

Peter has posted the following report of the 5/29 XDI Editors call:

https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xdi/201405/msg00040.html

The question has been raised if the XDI Editors call date and/or time should be changed. Options are: Keep the same, move to 3ET Thursdays, start a new poll.

The consensus was to move the call to 3PM ET on Thursdays.

Detailed Error Reporting

Hubert would like to discuss if we have a list of detailed errors that may need to be documented in the XDI Binding spec.

The question is how errors are reported in the XDI protocol. Hubert was expecting higher and lower level error messages.

Drummond brought up the distinction between XDI protocol errors and transport binding protocol errors. We used the example of HTTP 404 Not Found. Does it mean the XDI graph was not found or that the endpoint was not found?

We discussed another error, Invalid Signature. This is a pure XDI error that seems specific to a particular domain.

Example:

$error

$sig$error

$invalid$sig$error

Hubert pointed out that the 02 Draft of the Messaging spec uses a different error code form. He termed this “death by a thousand dollars”.

There was a consensus that this was not the approach we should take with errors. Drummond suggested that it be changed to this approach:

$false/$is#/$unknown$request$error

The semantics work this way:

Dan pointed out that errors can also include #words and can defined by any XDI authority. Example:

$false/$is#/|[=]!:uuid:1111|#some#specialized$error

|[=]!:uuid:1111|#some#specialized$error<#en><$lang><$text>&/&/”This sucks!”

|[=]!:uuid:1111|#some#specialized$error<#fr><$lang><$text>&/&/”Merde!”

XDI Policies

Dan would like to discuss the current XDI Policy draft:

https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/52892/XDIPolicyDraft.docx

XDI Signatures

Peter has posted an updated XDI signature proposal:

https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xdi/201405/msg00030.html

Inclusion of XDI Dictionary Definitions

We had a discussion Peter’s proposal for including dictionary words in other specs so that the canonical definition is always in the Dictionary spec. Of the two models he proposed (the “glossary form” and the “section form”), the section from was preferred.

NEXT CALL

The next call is next week at the regular time.