xdi message

Subject: Minutes: XDI TC Telecon Friday 2014-07-25

XDI TC Minutes

Following are the minutes of the unofficial telecon of the XDI TC at:

Date:  Friday, 25 July 2014 USA
Time:  09:00AM - 10:30AM Pacific Time (16:00-17:30 UTC)

ATTENDING

Les Chasen
Markus Sabadello
Joseph Boyle
Hubert Le Van Gong
Dan Blum
Courtney Brown
Eno Jackson
William Dyson

GUESTS
Matthew Sutton

REGRETS

Peter Davis
Phil Windley
Drummond Reed

NEWS & UPDATES

PRESENTATIONS/DISCUSSIONS

XDI graph versioning

Hubert brought up the topic of indicating the version of XDI itself within graphs. We distinguished between versioning the following:

1. Versioning of higher level protocols based on XDI messaging:
https://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/XdiMessagePatterns

<--from-->[$msg]<--msg-id-->

/$is#/<--message-type-->[$v]<--version-number-->$xdi[$v]@1$msg

2. Versioning of subgraphs

We did not discuss this in detail but noted that we had implemented it at some point in the past.

3. XDI version (should correspond to a version of the spec, e.g. working draft 02 etc):

https://issues.oasis-open.org/browse/XDI-29

We wondered if the XDI version can be stored in the graph in a way that will not break even if radical changes are made to the graph model.

Dan asked if the XDI version should be specified in the binding rather than the XDI graph.

Maybe the pattern for XDI versions would look like this:

/$is#/$xdi[$v]@1

/$is#/$xdi[$v]@3

An example message to discover the XDI version could be:

=sender[$msg]!:uuid:1234$do/$is#/$xdi[$v]@4$msg

(=sender[$msg]!:uuid:1234$do/$get)/$is#/{}

The response from the server would be:

/$is#/$xdi[$v]@1

/$is#/$xdi[$v]@3

The above means: An XDI client which supports XDI version 4 is asking a server which version it supports. The XDI server responds that it supports XDI versions 1, and 3.

Note that if radical changes to XDI occur (e.g. a symbol shift that would replace $ with ?), the server will not be able to process the client’s request for the XDI version number.

XDI type statements

Statement to indicate that a context node is of a certain type:

=markus/$is#/#employee

Statement to indicate that a literal is of a certain type (can be more than one):

=markus<#birth><$t>&/&/"1900-00-00T...."

=markus<#birth><$t>/$is#/$json$string

=markus<#birth><$t>/$is#/[$iso]@8601

=markus<#name>&/&/"Markus Sabadello"

=markus<#name>/$is#/$json$string

Supported “external” data types:

$json: For JSON data types, e.g. $json$string

$xsd: For XML Schema data types, e.g. $xsd$integer

$mime: For MIME types, e.g. $mime$text$plain

XDI scheme for unordered member

Identifying unordered members of a collection with a UUID:

[<$email>]<!:uuid:1234>&/&/”email1@test.com

[<$email>]<!:uuid:6789>&/&/”email2@test.com

Identifying unordered members of a collection with content-based identifiers:

[<$email>]<!:sha256:a36e>&/&/”email1@test.com

[<$email>]<!:sha256:c331>&/&/”email2@test.com

Joseph mentioned that there maybe some overlap between the use of $is# type statements, and the use of schemes for unordered members of a collection.

XDI signatures

Continue to discuss Peter’s updated XDI signature proposal:

https://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/XdiSignature

https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xdi/201405/msg00030.html

We did not have time to discuss this topic.

Read-only / Append-only

In a message thread within Respect Network, the question has come up whether certain parts of a graph can be “read-only”.

We did not have time to discuss this topic.

Automatic singleton/collection conversion

Peter described a situation where one would have an attribute singleton in the graph, e.g. <#email>, and then later decide that a collection [<#email>] would be needed to add additional attributes.

We did not have time to discuss this topic.

Spec comments by Hubert

Hubert has submitted a number of XDI spec issues to the OASIS issue tracker system:

https://issues.oasis-open.org/browse/XDI/?selectedTab=com.atlassian.jira.jira-projects-plugin:issues-panel

Hubert explained that most of the issues he raised are being taken care of and/or assigned to individuals. If any of the issues require the attention of the whole TC, Hubert will raise it.

NEXT CALL

The next call is next week at the regular time.