xdi message

Subject: Re: [xdi] Recommended syntaxes for user ids within an organization?

Which syntax are we defining to be the successor / migration path of the old “community i-names” sub-names of format @org*user as mentioned in http://www.inames.net/business.html ?

On Aug 5, 2014, at 12:20 AM, =Drummond Reed <drummond.reed@xdi.org> wrote:

I'll go further than Markus: the semantics of XDI context symbols have been well established for several years now. These contexts are uniform everywhere. = is the context symbol for an individual authority at any level of context. + is the context for a legal authority other than a person at any level of context. (The same goes for #, $, *, and @).

So =markus and +nym=markus represent the same person in two different contexts -- the first in his own individual context and the second in the context of the legal authority +nym. To say anything else would destroy the consistency of XDI semantics which we have spent 10 years building.

So the only way to create a relative identifier for a person is to use cross-reference syntax, i.e., =(markus). Any XDI authority at any level may use a relative cross-reference in any context. However it is strongly discouraged to use a cross-reference at the top level because by definition the semantics of a relative cross-reference are highly likely to conflict across XDI graphs. So the only way to safely use a relative cross-reference is within another absolute context. Thus +nym=(markus) is fine, because +nym establishes a fully qualified context for the resolution of the relative identifier =(markus).

=Drummond