xdi message

Subject: Re: [xdi] XDI collection as attribute

On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 9:57 PM, Le Van Gong, Hubert <Hubert.LeVanGong@neustar.biz> wrote:
Thanks,

My ultimate goal is to be able (programmatically) to distinguish entity collections from attribute collections since I understand (please confirm!) that the former should be represented with a circle (i.e. like an entity) whereas the latter will be a diamond (i.e. attribute).

Correct.

Parsing the ABNF, it seems an attribute collection will always look like: [<+name>] or [<$name>]
while an entity collection will never start with [< nor end with >]
Am I correct?

Yes.

Note that the legal collection ABNF def seems weird to me as I interpret it as: [@]
Shouldn't there be an XDI name after the '@' ?
In which case, the definition should be:
legal-collection     = COLL             "@" xdi-name COLR
or something like that...

First, the legal context symbol is now +, not @. And second, the collection of entities that are purely identified as legal authorities is indeed just identified as [+]. The same is true for the collection of personal authorities, [=], and the collection of general authorities (things), [*].

The reason that no XDI name is allowed after these context symbols because, with authority context symbols, it is the symbols themselves that provide the type of the collection. Any XDI name after the symbol, e.g., +neustar, represents an authority instance, and by definition you can't have a collection of an instance, you can only have a collection of a set of members of the same type.

Here's another way to put it:
  • [=] is the collection of all personal authorities, i.e., entities of type "person"
  • [+] is the collection of all legal authorities,  i.e., entities of type "legal"
  • [*] is the collection of all general authorities, i.e., entities of type "general" (anything that has independent identity)
  • [$xxx] is the collection of all entities of type $xxx (defined by the XDI TC)
  • [#xxx] is the collection of all entities of type #xxx (defined by community consensus)
=Drummond