xdi message

Subject: XDI TC Members: The bi-annual daylight savings time carnival approaches

FYI. This is a very entertaining (and informative) warning from Chet about the upcoming time changes.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Chet Ensign <chet.ensign@oasis-open.org>
Date: Fri, Sep 26, 2014 at 7:04 AM
To: members@lists.oasis-open.org, Staff Bizdev <staff-bizdev@lists.oasis-open.org>, OASIS TAB <tab@lists.oasis-open.org>

OASIS members,

That time of year is coming nigh when around the globe, nation by nation, those of us who switched to Daylight Savings Time for the summer months all roll our clocks backwards - on completely different dates. Why do we all insist on doing it differently? I suppose it is to make the point that we are all sovereign, independent nations, run by mature grownups capable of making their own decisions, and we just can. So there.

Leaving the politics aside however, planning your TC meetings through this transitional period can be an enriching, educational process or a source of irritation, confusion and lack of quorum. Your call…

To help you all through these few weeks, I’ve searched out some useful sources of facts to help your planning. Please read on if you prefer education to ire:

- In Europe, the clocks will turn back 1 hour on Sunday, October 26th at 01:00 UTC.  See http://www.timeanddate.com/news/time/europe-dst-end-2014.html. Interestingly, Russia will roll back at this time to and then just stay there. Standard time from now on. Why? Because they can. Please read on.

- In North America, most parts of the U.S., Canada and the border cities of Mexico will roll back on Sunday, November 2nd at 02:00 local time. See http://www.timeanddate.com/news/time/usa-canada-end-dst-2014.html. The rest of Mexico follows Europe’s plan, rolling back one week earlier, on October 26th. Note that in the U.S., Arizona, Hawaii, American Samoa, Guam, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands and in Canada, some parts of Quebec (désolé pour le ‘e’), most of Saskatchewan, some parts of British Columbia and, of course, Southampton Island in Nunavut do not go on DST and so they won’t be coming off. Why? You know…

- Most of the Pacific Rim nations, most (not all) of Australia and most of South America wisely avoid the whole fergogle by not going on DST to begin with. They must enjoy the next couple of weeks immensely.

A useful chart of Northern and Southern hemisphere adoptions can be found at http://www.worldtimezone.com/daylight.html. Also see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time_by_country

Because of this shift, you may want to check that your meeting times over the next few weeks are still in sync. You may also want to poll your members to find what times work best for everyone in the period between March and November when DST is in effect.

To check on your meeting times, you can use the Meeting Planner at http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html

By November it will all be past and we’ll be digging into our burrows to hibernate for the winter. Look for an update when we celebrate ramping this whole debacle back up once again for summer of 2015.

Best regards,

--

/chet   [§]

Primary: +1 973-996-2298