xdi message

Subject: Re: [xdi] Collected ABNF ready for review (starting with Joseph & Markus)

On 03/09/2015 09:06 PM, Joseph Boyle wrote:
Drummond, here are a few initial review questions:

Are definitions as well as variables, collections, and everything else (but inner roots) limited to a single arc?
If so, why not just vertical bar before instead of both before and after?
More generally, it’s a waste to use paired delimiters around single arcs.

Let’s try to construct a maximal nesting example. Is this in fact grammatical and a single arc? Is there any of this nesting that we should rule out either at the syntactic level or higher levels?

{|[(({|[#1]|})({|[#2]|}){|[#3]|}<{|[#4]|}>/({|[#5]|})({|[#6]|}){|[#7]|}<{|[#8]|}>)]|}

Haha I pasted this into my parser just for fun, and it even made it to {|[#4]|} before it gave up with an error!

If we decide this is valid, then it should probably become a unit test for XDI2 !

Why does class have the option of being one of six context symbols followed by nothing, four of which are normally in authorities or instances not classes?

Why can an attribute singleton not be an authority? This seems to be the only difference in content permitted in entities and attributes.

Do you want to use 1*peer and 1*entity? if not, how do we interpret zero cases like () and (/)?

root                    = peer / inner / root-collection / root-definition / root-variable
peer                    = "(" *entity ")"
inner                   = "(" *peer / *entity "/" *entity ")"
root-collection         = "[" peer / inner "]"
root-definition         = "|" peer / inner / root-collection "|"
root-variable           = "{" peer / inner / root-collection / root-definition "}"

entity                  = singleton / collection / definition / variable
singleton               = class / instance / authority
collection              = "[" class "]"
definition              = "|" class / authority / collection "|"
variable                = "{" singleton / collection / definition "}"

attr                    = attr-singleton / attr-collection / attr-definition / attr-variable
attr-singleton          = attr-class / attr-instance
attr-collection         = "[" attr-class "]"
attr-definition         = "|" attr-class / attr-authority / attr-collection "|"
attr-variable           = "{" attr-singleton / attr-collection / attr-definition "}"
attr-class              = "<" class ">"
attr-instance           = "<" instance ">"
attr-authority          = "<" authority ">"
attr-terminal           = attr-class / ( attr-collection attr-instance )

class                   = reserved / unreserved / "$" / "#" / "@" / "*" / "=" / +"
reserved                = "$" 1*xdi-char
unreserved              = "#" id-literal

instance                =  ordered / unordered
ordered                 = "@" [ "!" ] 1*DIGIT
unordered               = "*" [ "!" ] id-literal

authority               = personal / legal
personal                = "=" [ "!" ] id-literal
legal                   = "+" [ "!" ] id-literal

id-literal              = 1*xdi-char / xdi-scheme / xref
xref                    = local / uri
local                   = "(" 1*xdi-char ")"
uri                     = "(" escaped-uri ")"