xdi message

Subject: Minutes: XDI TC Telecon Friday 2015-04-08

XDI TC Minutes

Following are the minutes of the official meeting of the XDI TC held at the Internet Identity Workshop at the Computer History Museum in Mountain View, CA on:

Date:  Wednesday, 8 April 2015 USA
Time:  03:30AM - 4:30PM Pacific Time

ATTENDING

Drummond Reed
Les Chasen
Joseph Boyle
Markus Sabadello
Phil Windley
Kaliya Hamlin
William Dyson
Amanda Navarro

REGRETS

Peter Davis

GUESTS

Mark Weinstein

Review of the XDI Core Spec

The session began with a walk-through of the latest draft of XDI Core 1.0—Working Draft 04:

http://xdi.org/xdi-spec-docbook/xdi/xdi-core-1.0/xdi-core-1.0-wd04.xml

Drummond used the tables and examples in the spec to explain the key features of XDI to the guests.

The TC then turned its attention to the ABNF section. One remaining open issue is the syntax for a local name, as shown in the following lines:

external-ref = local-ref / uri-ref
local-ref    = "(" xdi-name ")"
uri-ref      = "(" absolute-uri ")"
absolute-uri = uri-scheme ":" 1*uri-char
uri-scheme   = ALPHA *( ALPHA / DIGIT / "+" / "-" / "." )
xdi-name     = global-name / local-name
global-name  = name-char        *( name-char / "_" / "-" / "." )
local-name   = "_" / "-" / "."  *( name-char / "_" / "-" / "." )

Drummond clarified that the purpose of local-ref is to allow relative URIs, and that this provides a very clean way for XDI addresses to reference both absolute and relative URIs as defined by RFC 3986.

The discussion then turned to local-name rule and two related issues:

  1. Should their be a local-name rule at all, or should all local names be covered by the local-ref rule?

  2. If there is a local-name rule, what character(s) should be used for the leading character?

On the latter question, the consensus among the attendees was to use the underscore character as the leading character for local names.

However there was no consensus about the first question, i.e., should we even have two ways to express an XDI arc identifier whose scope is local and not global. For example:

+example.company=(example.person)

+example.company=_example.person

We ran out of time to continue discussing the issue so we will have to return to it on the next call.

XDI Messaging and XDI Bindings

Although Markus has continued to make progress on XDI Messaging 1.0 WD03 and XDI Bindings 1.0 WD03, we did not have time to review them. The most recent drafts he is working on are:

http://xdi.org/xdi-spec-docbook/xdi/xdi-messaging-1.0/xdi-messaging-1.0-wd03.xml

http://xdi.org/xdi-spec-docbook/xdi/xdi-bindings-1.0/xdi-bindings-1.0-wd03.xml

NEXT CALL

The next regular meeting will be in our usual time slot, 9-10:30AM PT on Friday April 17.