xdi message

Subject: XDI TC Notes Unofficial Telecon Friday 2015-09-28

(XDI TC Notes

Following are the notes of the unofficial telecon of the XDI TC held on:

Date: Monday, 28 September 2015 USA
Time: 10:00AM - 11:30AM Pacific Time (17:00-18:30 UTC)

The TC operates under a standing rule approved 17 July 2008 under which the TC does not hold regular official meetings and conducts all business by electronic ballot only. Unofficial weekly meetings are held to enable discussion among members but no business is conducted nor actions taken.

ATTENDING

Markus Sabadello
Phil Windley
Christopher Allen
Joseph Boyle
Drummond Reed
Les Chasen

REGRETS

Lionel Wolberger

XDI Core: Spec Drafting Update

Drummond uploaded the latest draft of his sections:

https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/document.php?document_id=56576&wg_abbrev=xdi

This draft is now complete for all of Drummond’s sections except the Introduction. Notes:

Drummond was not able to confer with Joseph prior to the call, so the proposed Normalization and Canonicalization rules and the IRI transformation sections had not yet been reviewed by him. On the call we were able to discuss these sections with Joseph. His key items of feedback were:

  1. We should include a statement that XDI processors will not do any case folding or case-insensitive comparisons. They will only do direct binary comparisons.

  2. XDI processors will also not do any unencoding of percent-encoded characters.

  3. The lowercase should apply uniformly, so there is no need to mention specific character sets.

  4. This approach will allow homographic attacks, so we should continue to include a separate warning about them.

Drummond emphasized that stringent normalization is important for several reasons. Les noted that DNS doesn’t specify whether names are stored upper- or lower-case. We also recalled that in IRIs, the authority part is case insensitive, and the following parts are case sensitive. Drummond explained that if XDI case-sensitive identifiers are required for a certain use case, there are two options 1. percent-encode the case-sensitive characters, or 2. store the case-sensitive identifiers separately as an XDI attribute.

Joseph asked how case-sensitivity is handled in RDF. Drummond explained that RDF defers to the IRI rules in RFC3987.

Joseph also brought up an example XDI endpoint URI:

https://xdi03-at.danubeclouds.com/cl/%3D!%3Auuid%3A0250c1a5-670f-4afc-bf74-d86f19c86fd

Drummond explained that this URI has nothing to do with Normalization and Canonicalization, and that this is encoding pattern is rather an implementation detail of one specific XDI service provider.

#ACTION: Joseph and Drummond to confer and update text in the Normalization and Canonicalization section. (Note: this conference already happened and Joseph will be submitting new text for the Normalization and Canonicalization section that incorporates these suggestions.)

We also talked a bit about XDI schemes. Markus felt that the requirement that schemes can only be defined by the TC was too restrictive. We agreed that instead new schemes could be agreed upon by “communities” such as XDI.org, which would be similar to the idea that XDI discovery can be established through decentralized “consensus”.

Joseph asked about the XDI scheme for SHA-256 identifiers. Drummond explained that we decided to remove that.

Next we reviewed the steps necessary to hold the Committee Specification Draft vote starting on Monday October 19. The proposed steps are:

  1. Word-to-DocBook conversion

  2. ABNF editing

  3. ABNF and Serialization section reviews

  4. Draft and review

    1. Introduction section (including Example XDI Graph and XDI Specifications table)

    2. Appendices

The first step Joseph feels can be accomplished this week. Drummond will start the ABNF review via the TC wiki page (https://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/XdiAbnf).

We agreed to this schedule for the remaining 3 calls before the vote commences:

  1. October 5: ABNF and Serialization section reviews

  2. October 12: Review of Introduction sections

  3. October 19: Review Appendices and commence vote

Messaging Update

Markus is going to push to have new Working Drafts of the following specs prior to IIW:

NEXT REGULAR CALL

The next call is next week at the usual time (Monday 10AM PT). The link to where agenda items can be posted for the next meeting is: https://docs.google.com/document/d/19oDl0lbb56Grehx2a5flZnhrgnua5l8cVvC_dJ8fTXk/edit?usp=sharing