xdi message

Subject: XDI literals as subjects/objects of relational arcs

I thought about yesterday's ABNF discussion a bit more, and now I remembered the model we had last year, when we still had the "value context node".

See attached simple diagram just as a reminder.

In the old model, it was perfectly normal for the "value context node" to be subject or object of a relational arc. For example, you could have a $ref link between one value and another value, instead of having a $ref link between the entire attribute and another entire attribute.

The use cases for this I think were rather thin. So when Joseph proposed and we all eventually agreed with him to remove the value context node, we saw the simplification and didn't see much disadvantage.

Now with today's ABNF, we're basically back at a model very similar to what we had last year, just without the value context node. The main argument in favor of supporting literals as subjects/objects of relational arcs is that they are real nodes with real XDI addresses in the graph.

So even though 1. this impacts existing implementation work quite a bit, and 2. the XDI/RDF mapping will be difficult, this does make more sense to me now than it did yesterday, in light of the model we had last year.

Markus

P.S. Here's a version snapshot of XDI2 before removal of the value context node: https://server.xdi2.org/pre-no-value-node/