xdi message

Subject: XDI TC Unofficial Telecon Notes: Monday 2016-02-01

XDI TC Notes

Following are the notes of the unofficial telecon of the XDI TC held on:

Date: Monday, 1 February 2016 USA
Time: 10:00AM - 11:30AM Pacific Time (17:00-18:30 UTC)

The TC operates under a standing rule approved 17 July 2008 under which the TC does not hold regular official meetings and conducts all business by electronic ballot only. Unofficial weekly meetings are held to enable discussion among members but no business is conducted nor actions taken.

ATTENDING

Drummond Reed
Les Chasen
Markus Sabadello
Joseph Boyle
Phil Windley
Kapil Vats

Update on Publishing XDI Core 1.0 Committee Specification Draft 01

We checked in with Joseph on the publishing status.

https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xdi/201511/msg00011.html

Joseph said that the next set of revisions requested by Paul Knight are ready and he will update the SVGs and send to Paul and Chet Ensign.

# ACTION: DRUMMOND AND JOSEPH - check on their approval by Tuesday Feb 2.

XDI Core 1.0 Revisions Wiki Page

Per his action item, Drummond published a wiki page where we can track all proposed revisions to XDI Core 1.0 Committee Specification Draft 01.

https://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/CoreSpecRevisions

As Peter Davis originally requested, revisions are divided into normative and non-normative. We can choose to enter any of these into JIRA as needed. In any case, Drummond suggests we make sure that any proposed revision is listed here (even if detailed elsewhere) to we can use it a checklist when the time comes for Committee Specification Draft 02.

XDI Cryptographic Profiles / XDI Cryptography

As a prerequisite of XDI Messaging and XDI Link Contracts, Markus has been working on XDI Cryptographic Profiles. Markus also proposes to rename it to XDI Cryptography:

http://xdi.org/xdi-spec-docbook-markussabadello/xdi/xdi-cryptography-1.0/xdi-cryptography-1.0-wd01.xml

Phil asked whether this draft is about syntax and semantics of cryptographic primitives in XDI, rather than processing logic. Markus confirmed that this was the case. Processing and use of XDI Cryptography will be covered by XDI Messaging and XDI Link Contracts.

We discussed the role of the planned XDI Privacy Mechanisms and XDI Security Mechanisms specs. These specs will cover higher-level uses of features defined by the other specs, e.g.:

We discussed the names “XDI Cryptographic Profiles”, “XDI Cryptographic Mechanisms”, “XDI Cryptography”, and achieved consensus to use the latter as proposed by Markus.

# CONSENSUS: Rename “XDI Cryptographic Profiles” to ““XDI Cryptography”.

# ACTION ITEM: DRUMMOND to update https://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/XdiOneSpecs (done).

Markus suggested that another section should be added to XDI Cryptography that formally defines the introduced $ words, and there was consensus on that idea.

JSON-XDI Mapping

Drummond started a wiki page on a proposal for how we can adapt the XDI graph model to developer-friendly JSON using the same mapping pattern that JSON-LD uses to adapt the RDF graph model to developer-friendly JSON.

https://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/JsonXdiMapping

He explained that, in addition to his discussions with Manu Sporny and David Longley of Digital Bazaar, part of the inspiration was this blog post by Manu, written two years ago when JSON-LD was approved as a W3C Recommendation:

http://manu.sporny.org/2014/json-ld-origins-2/

The rationale for JSON-XDI is very much the same as for JSON-LD as explained at the start of the wiki page. Drummond then ran through the examples showing how JSON-XDI could take the same approach.

Phil noted that he feels JSON-LD has been very successful at making RDF accessible and useful to JSON developers. Just this semester he has taught it to his class at BYU and they picked it up within 10 minutes.

Markus noted that we need to be careful not to overload the term “context”. In JSON-LD, the term “context” is used to establish an RDF mapping for the terms in a JSON document. It has nothing to do with the XDI use of the term “context”, which is a much more fundamental construct. What JSON-LD calls a “context” is really much closer to an XML namespace.

Markus wondered whether if in JSON-XDI we could add additional keywords to represent more advanced XDI graph constructs that are not present natively in the RDF graph model—for example, inner graphs. Drummond not only agreed, he provided the following example of what this might look like if JSON-XDI follows the same @ prefix for keywords as JSON-LD:

@inner-graph {

"@name": "name of inner graph"

"@subject": "xdi-address of subject node of inner graph"

"@predicate": "xdi-address of predicate arc of inner graph"

}

Drummond noted that this was an off-the-cuff example and that each new JSON-XDI keyword would need to be throught through as thoroughly as the JSON-LD keywords.

Markus noted that he has previously experimented with serializing an XDI graph using the JSON-LD format. For example, the following XDI graph in statement format...

=markus<#name>/&/"Markus Sabadello"

=markus<#email>/&/"markus@projectdanube.org"

=markus/#friend/=drummond

...could be serialized into this JSON-LD format:

{

 "@id" : "xdi:%3Dmarkus",

 "xdi:%23friend" : {

"@id" : "xdi:%3Ddrummond"

 },

 "xdi:%3C%23email%3E" : "markus@projectdanube.org",

 "xdi:%3C%23name%3E" : "Markus Sabadello",

 "@context" : {

"xdi" : "https://xdi.org/"

 }

}

However Markus agreed that this was a significantly different approach that what Drummond was suggesting, because although it converts XDI graphs into RDF triples expressed according to JSON-LD rules, it does not produce “conventional JSON” as developers would expect it.

The conclusion was that there was a high degree of enthusiasm for JSON-XDI, and the next step is to begin to turn it into a formal proposal as TC members have bandwidth.

NEXT REGULAR CALL

The next call will be the following week at the usual time (Monday 10AM PT). The link to where agenda items can be posted for the next meeting is: https://docs.google.com/document/d/19oDl0lbb56Grehx2a5flZnhrgnua5l8cVvC_dJ8fTXk/edit?usp=sharing