xdi message

Subject: XDI TC Unofficial Telecon Notes: Thursday 2018-05-31

XDI TC Notes

Following are the notes of the unofficial telecon of the XDI TC held on:

Date: Thursday, 31 May 2018 USA
Time: Noon - 1:00PM Pacific Time (19:00-20:00 UTC)

The TC operates under a standing rule approved 17 July 2008 under which the TC does not hold regular official meetings and conducts all business by electronic ballot only. Unofficial weekly meetings are held to enable discussion among members but no business is conducted nor actions taken.

ATTENDING

Markus Sabadello
Drummond Reed
Joseph Boyle

REGRETS

Phil Windley

NOTES

DID Resolution and XDI

We discussed how DIDs, DID documents, and tools like the Universal Resolver would be used for XDI discovery.

Using an "XDI connector", a DID document can be mapped to an XDI graph, either 1) using a custom mapping, or 2) using a standard rule set that can map any RDF/JSON-LD data to XDI.

Using the following (part of a) DID document:

{

 "id": "did:sov:WRfXPg8dantKVubE3HX8pw",

 "service": {

    "type": "xdi",

    "serviceEndpoint": "http://127.0.0.1:8080/xdi"

 },

 "@context": "https://w3id.org/did/v1"

}

XDI Example 1)

(=!:did:sov:WRfXPg8dantKVubE3HX8pw)<$xdi><$uri>/&/"http://127.0.0.1:8080/xdi"

XDI Example 2)

(=!:did:sov:WRfXPg8dantKVubE3HX8pw)#service<#serviceEndpoint>/&/"http://127.0.0.1:8080/xdi"

(=!:did:sov:WRfXPg8dantKVubE3HX8pw)#service/$is#/$xdi

Markus prefers the second approach, using an automatic RDF/JSON-LD mapping, which we have discussed several times before.

In addition to the discovery data model, Markus felt that an additional XDI statement should be included in the XDI discovery result:

=!:did:sov:WRfXPg8dantKVubE3HX8pw/$is/(=!:did:sov:WRfXPg8dantKVubE3HX8pw)=!:did:sov:WRfXPg8dantKVubE3HX8pw

While the previous statements contain information on where an entity's XDI service endpoint is located, this statement adds a subtle logical instruction for XDI agents to actually connect to that entity's XDI peer root. This would enable additional freedom to also connect to the same entity in other places, such as multiple XDI agents, or non-XDI contexts, e.g. Facebook:

=!:did:sov:WRfXPg8dantKVubE3HX8pw/$is/(https://facebook.com/)=!588183713

Markus brought up the interesting topic of “implicitly named graphs” in JSON-LD 1.1. We will discuss that next week. See this definition.

Pairwise-Pseudonymous DIDs and XDI

Let's discuss how pairwise-pseudonymous DIDs can be modeled in the XDI graph model and in XDI messaging.

We talked about the need to model an identity wallet as an XDI graph, which can potentially contain many DIDs. As a result of this conversation about wallet addressing, Drummond noted the need to reconsider whether relative identifiers should be allowed at the root level. He added this to the XDI wiki page on Core spec revisions.

Example wallet XDI graph, with multiple DIDs:

  (=!:did:sov:1234)/$rep/(*!~1)

  (=!:did:sov:6789)/$rep/(*!~1)

  *!~1/$is#/#wallet

  *!~1<#email>/&/"markus@danubetech.com"

  *!~1<#tel>/&/"1234567890"

We discussed whether microledger DIDs would be considered absolute or relative XDI Numbers. Markus also wondered if they would be represented using an XDI inner root that represents the relationship between two entities.

Example microledger DIDs in a wallet XDI graph:

  (=!:did:sov:local:1234/=!:did:sov:local:5678)/$rep/(*!~1)

We agreed we need to talk further about  microledger DID syntaxes on next week’s call.

Credentials/Proofs and XDI

Let's discuss how the concepts of Verifiable Credentials and Proofs can be modeled in XDI.

For Rebooting-the-Web-of-Trust #4, Markus wrote a topic paper related to subject.

We did not have time to discuss this topic.

NEXT REGULAR CALL

The next call will be next week at the usual time (Thursday noon PT). The link where agenda items can be posted for the next meeting is: https://docs.google.com/document/d/19oDl0lbb56Grehx2a5flZnhrgnua5l8cVvC_dJ8fTXk/edit?usp=sharing