Subject: RE: [xliff-comment] Including XHTML with XLIFF

I don't think it should validate. Trying with XMLSpy 4.4 and the latest
XLIFF XSD it doesn't. The reason is that there is no extension point in any
of the inline elements (<ph> in this case). In order to have non-XLIFF
elements in <ph> you would have to have an <xsd:any namespace="##other">
element in the definition of <ph> and there is none.

We had (and I guess still having) this discussion regarding non-XLIFF
namespaces in inline elements with Martin Dürst at the Unicode conference in
Dublin. Currently (1.0 and the latest draft of 1.1) they are not allowed. I
recall sending a list of reason and examples, but I can't find it anymore.
The reason is basically that XLIFF is meant to be generic, not specific to
XML content (many content of XLF file are coming from non-XML douments), and
treating XML content differently leads to make exception cases. I don't
think we have close the discussion on this though.

Comments anyone?

cheers,
-yves