Subject: Re: [xliff-comment] Another possible solution for reformat

Hi Doug and all:

At the heart of all recent discussions regarding reformat lays the question
"Is maintaining compatibility between 1.0 and 1.1 data files absolutely
necessary?".  I think for us to decide on an implementation direction for
reformat, we must first resolve this question to our collective
satisfaction.

To refresh your memories on the actual policy,  please follow this link to
see the migration policy the TC agreed to for 1.0->1.1 ->
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff/200208/msg00005.html.  This
document lists the migration policy that was voted on and accepted by the TC
back in August 2002 and would require revision (with a vote to accept it) in
order to revise.

Some history:  this migration policy was initially drafted at the face to
face meeting this past spring,  and reflects the opinion of the group at
that time.  Specifically,  when we initially discussed the migration policy,
the group felt that it was important to assure developers of XLIFF 1.0 that
their data could be migrated without significant investment in migration
tools or process.  It was also mentioned that it would be highly desirable
that XLIFF tools be backwards compatible where possible (per the Microsoft
Word doc model),  so that tools could universally read and write any version
of XLIFF.

Tomorrow we'll (briefly) revisit the reasons and considerations for
implementing this policy,  and decide if they still apply.  Please formulate
in your own minds what your thoughts and opinions are on this matter before
tomorrow's meeting.

Regards,
Tony