Subject: using xliff to translate html

---- Start SpamAssassin results
9.10 points, 7 required;
*  2.9 -- Content type is "TEXT/HTML" in all caps
*  0.7 -- From: ends in numbers
*  0.1 -- BODY: HTML has "tbody" tag
*  0.4 -- BODY: HTML font face is not a word
*  0.5 -- BODY: Message is 50% to 60% HTML
*  1.0 -- BODY: HTML included in message
*  0.4 -- URI: Includes a link to a likely spammer email address
*  0.5 -- Message only has text/html MIME parts
*  2.6 -- Forged mail pretending to be from AOL

---- End of SpamAssassin results

The original message did not contain plain text, and may be unsafe to
open with some email clients; in particular, it may contain a virus,
or confirm that your address can receive spam.  If you wish to view
it, it may be safer to save it to a file and open it with an editor.

--- Begin Message ---
Date: 8/27/2003, 11:20 AM
From: Brian Stell <brianstell00@aol.com>
To: xliff-comment@lists.oasis-open.org

I'm new to this list so if I ask question that are covered in a FAQ could someone please point me to it?

I'm interested in using XLIFF to hold HTML (not XHTML).

If I read the 1.1 spec correctly it looks like the spec indicates that the source/target elements are to be parsed by the XML parser; ie:

http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/xliff/documents/xliff-specification.htm#Struct_Body
I see a suggestion of this in this email: http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff/200212/msg00031.html

I'm a little confused as it seems like XLIFF is intended to be a holder.

Is it intended that the internal structure of the source/target elements to show up as elements in the XLIFF DOM?

If XLIFF is intended to be a holder then I'm unclear on the advantages of forcing the source/target data to be well formed XML.

Is there an advantage to parsing the data in the source/target elements?

Would there be an advantage to allowing or making source/target data CDATA? It would remove the requirement that the  source/target data be well formed XML. In my case this would make the handling of HTML much much simpler.

Thank you

Brian Stell
AIM: brianstell00
(650) 937-2797