Subject: Determining what <note> elements refer to

Hi John,

The tricky thing here is that the note element has multiple contexts. I had suggested using "source', 'target', and 'general' as values for the attribute with the 'general' value as the implied default.

Outside of <trans-unit> and <alt-trans> elements, 'general' should be the only legal value, but this will probably be very difficult, if not impossible to specify in the schema. (I need to do more reading on schema based validation.) It is a bit messy, but anything else would require lots of changes to the way things are done and would break backwards compatibility.

Regards,

John C.