Subject: Storing plural forms with XLIFF

Mike Beckerle previously pointed out his concern for XLIFF support for
plural forms, but he did not get any replies.
(http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff-comment/200303/msg00000.html)

I understand that the Profiles SC will come up with guidelines on how to
represent different formats in XLIFF.
Do you plan to release such guidelines for how XLIFF should represent
plural forms?

As I understand XLIFF, the two alternatives I can think of are these
(using the polish language as an example):

1. Using a <group> element with a user-defined restype, where the order of the <trans-unit> elements are from nullar, (e.g. '0 files') to "very" plural:
<group restype="x-plurals">
    <trans-unit id="Dialog21">
        <source>%n files</source>
        <target state="new">%n plik</target>
    </trans-unit>
    <trans-unit id="Dialog22">
        <source>%n files</source>
        <target state="new">%n pliki</target>
    </trans-unit>
    <trans-unit id="Dialog23">
        <source>%n files</source>
        <target state="new">%n pliko'w</target>
    </trans-unit>
</group>

2. Using the <alt-trans> element, using the same ordering scheme as in 1):
<trans-unit id="Dialog21">
     <source>%n files</source>
     <target state="new">%n plik</target>
</trans-unit>
<alt-trans id="Dialog22">
     <target state="new">%n pliki</target>
</alt-trans>
<alt-trans id="Dialog23">
     <target state="new">%n pliko'w</target>
</alt-trans>

What is the best or most common practice for this?

For more information on pluralization, the GNU gettext manual explains the issues very well here:
http://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/manual/html_chapter/gettext_10.html#SEC150

Regards,
-- Jan- Arve Sæther - jasaethe [at] trolltech [dot] com Trolltech AS -
Sandakerveien 116 - PO Box 4332 Nydalen - 0402 Oslo, Norway