Subject: Re: [xliff] FW: [xliff-comment] Purpose of name attribute for<context-group>

On Tue, 2006-08-29 at 11:24 -0400, Doug Domeny wrote:

Hi,

> [...]

This statement is correct. The attribute "name" must have unique values
withing a <file> element.

> The PO representation guide currently uses the same name for multiple
> context-groups, this will need to be fixed in the following sections
> to be consistent with the XLIFF 1.2 context-group "interpretation":
> 5.3. Translator Comments
> 5.4. Extracted Comments
> 5.5. References

Examples in sections 5.3 and 5.4 show only one <trans-unit> element.

Section 5.5 should be updated to comply with the uniqueness requirement.

> Also note that the XLIFF 1.1 Whitepaper make use of multiple
> <context-group> elements with the same name in Section 6.1, I vaguely
> remember that being the reason we used same-name groups in the PO
> guide in the first place.

A new white paper should be prepared for XLIFF 1.2.

> I would like to ask for a
> clarification of the following statement in the XLIFF specification:
> "Because the <context-group> element may occur at a very high level, a
> default context can be established for all  <trans-unit> elements
> within a file. This default can be overridden at many subsequent
> levels.". How does this overriding work, if not by matching on the
> name attribute?

The <context-group> element holds context elements relating to the level
in the tree in which it occurs. Thus context can be set at a <group>
level, a <trans-unit>  level, or a <alt-trans> level.

Context can be overridden by adding a new <context-group> at the desired
level. It is not necessary to set the same value for the "name"
attribute, as context applies to the level where it is present and does
not require to be matched with anything..

Best regards,
Rodolfo M. Raya
Heartsome
--
The information in this e-mail is intended strictly for the addressee,
without prejudices, as a confidential document. Should it reach you, not