Subject: XLIFF and namespaces

Dear XLIFF TC,

I would like to add my voice to the concern that the XLIFF TC is considering an option to specify extensibility for XLIFF 2.0 in a manner that might would completely disallow the use of namespaces.

I recommend that you consider fixing the problem by dealing directly with the abuse rather than removing the opportunity to use namespaces, ie. by disallowing use of namespace attributes to overwrite core XLIFF features.

The W3C MultilingualWeb-LT Working Group is currently defining additional extensions to ITS. XLIFF and ITS need to be closely aligned as we go forward, since ITS aims to ensure that the information that needs to be stored in XLIFF is supplied by content developers.

It seems to me that not only will the disallowing of namespaces impact backwards compatibility, but it may well significantly impact the speed at which the advantages of ITS can be applied to the localization process through XLIFF in the future.

Best regards.
RI

--
Richard Ishida