Subject: RE: [xliff-comment] Resource Data Module <source> and <target> elements need a unique name

Perhaps you are right. I only have a gut feeling that <xlf:souce> and <xlf:target> storing text and inline elements, and having a set of attributes; vs. <res:source> and <res:target> being empty, and having a different set of attributes; . . . is confusing.

In my experience people sometimes have a difficult time grasping namespaces. I've known smart people to get confused when this

<xlf:source>,
<res:source>

is the same as

<source xmlns="urn:oasis:names:tc:xliff:document:2.0">,
<source xmlns="urn:oasis:names:tc:xliff:resourcedata:2.0">

As I said, this is a gut feeling, but I cannot point to another standard or case that shows this.

Yves, do you have examples of where relying on local names enables people to work in confusing ways?

Maybe others have opinions?

As I said, mine is not a strong opinion, just a gut feel.
From: Yves Savourel [yves@opentag.com]
Sent: Friday, May 24, 2013 7:40 PM
To: xliff-comment@lists.oasis-open.org

> It seems to me that in the Resource Data Module,
> the  <res:source> and <res:target> elements should have
> different names in order to avoid confusing them with
> core elements with the same local names.

My 2 cents: Namespaces are there to avoid such confusion. Allowing people to rely on local names is, in my opinion, not good: It
just enable people to work in confusing ways.

Cheers,
-ys

--
This publicly archived list offers a means to provide input to the
OASIS XML Localisation Interchange File Format (XLIFF) TC.

In order to verify user consent to the Feedback License terms and
before posting.

Subscribe: xliff-comment-subscribe@lists.oasis-open.org