Subject: RE: [xliff-comment] XLIFF 2.0 Comments - Ignorable

I tend to agree with Josep on this statement.

From: Josep Condal [mailto:pcondal@apsic.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 29, 2013 12:01 PM
To: 'Yves Savourel'; Ryan King; xliff-comment@lists.oasis-open.org

In my opinion, if there is any tag or atrribute that can be fully implemented with another item (or set of items), then it should be removed, even if it existed in XLIFF 1.2.

I'm thinking in the lines of cases such as "ignorable" being possibly implemented with the translate="no" attribute, or the "approved" attribute that can be better implemented with states.  This is just a couple of examples that have been recently mentioned, but there might be more.

If XLIFF is intended to be a nexus, I think that the main focus should be on implementability, not on expressiveness and availablity of options. This means that it is very important to reduce at the very minimum the options available to accomplish the same thing, so that implementations have better chances to work without (too many) flaws.

Regards,

Josep.