Subject: csprd01- 18, 24, and 36: Glossary Module Design

Hi Jörg and Chase,

I hope you don’t mind that I respond to both of you on the same mail. Regarding your comments on the glossary module in the recent public review of the XLIFF 2.0 spec:

Chase: “I am not a term expert, but I am concerned that this schema is overly simplistic. There is no way identify correlate term entries with segment content. The per-term metadata is very limited; in particular term variations are not supported.”

We will make the following changes to the specification to address these and other issues:

1.       Add an id attribute to <glossentry> so that it can be referenced by the <mrk> element as a term annotation.

2.       Change the source attribute on <definition> to be optional.

3.       Allow elements and attributes from any namespace in <glossentry> for extensibility

4.       Allow attributes from any namespace in children of <glossentry> for extensibility

5.       Allow <translation> to appear zero, one, or more times with an id to support synonym translations.

Here is an example:

<unit id="1">

  <segment>

  </segment>

  <gls:glossary>

    <gls:glossentry id="g1">

      <gls:term abc:concept-id=”25”>TAB key</gls:term>

      <gls:translation id="1">Tabstopptaste</gls:translation>

      <gls:translation id="2">TAB-TASTE</gls:translation>

      <gls:definition>A keyboard key that is traditionally used to insert tab characters into a document.</gls:definition>

      <abc:usageNotes>To be used when referring to a physical device</abc:usageNotes>

    </gls:glossentry>

  </gls:glossary>

</unit>

Thanks for your interest in XLIFF 2.0!