Subject: Re: csprd01- 18, 24, and 36: Glossary Module Design

Hi Ryan,

Well, in princple that's pretty much understandable. And sure, I can add a lot of things with a separate namespace. But IMHO this would be against the general spirit of XLIFF 2.0 which aims at having a common format that can be used to seamlessly exchange information between different tools along the localization and translation supply chain, and guarantee interoperability between these tools (and accoring to the package metaphor used in the specification). Think about, for example, SQL that has once given us such a guarantee to solve the integration problem between RDBs... ;-)

Regarding German terminology I 'll send you some proposals in a separate email.

Thanks and cheers -- Jörg

On July 19, 2013 at 20:20 (CEST), Ryan King wrote:
Hi Jörg, it was the general consensus of the TC to keep this terminology module simple and avoid building in complex terminological features; however, we wanted to make it extensible and flexible for those implementers who wanted more complexity. The data you mention below could be added to <gls:glossary> by using attributes or elements from another namespace. If you have complex terminological needs, another option is to add an external reference using the <mrk> element to create a term annotation, which points to an external termbase. We also removed <gls:glossary> from <file> level, which would allow implementers to define their own terminology extension/module, perhaps based on a more complex schema such as TBX.

Again, if you have better German translations I could use in my examples, you can send them my way.

Thanks,
Ryan

-----Original Message-----
From: Jörg Schütz [mailto:joerg@bioloom.de]
Sent: Friday, July 19, 2013 12:40 AM
To: Ryan King
Cc: chase@spartansoftwareinc.com; 'xliff-comment@lists.oasis-open.org'

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for this improved version. You should also consider to add some administrative data (date, time, resource, creator, etc.) to account for traceability of the module's entries. Not only think about the human employment of this data but also about the machine processability. The <translation> element might also benefit from a language attribute to include possible regional variants as well as other languages.

By the way, the German "Tabstopptaste" is quite ugly but see my previous comment on your German terminology... ;-)

Thanks again, and cheers,

Jörg