Subject: Re: [xliff-inline] Teleconference - Aug-10-2010 - 13:30 UTC - Minutes

I haven't noticed anything peculiar; it may have just been a hiccup with your mail client. I know all about those :)

Mary

On Aug 11, 2010, at 7:58 PM, <bryan.s.schnabel@tektronix.com> <bryan.s.schnabel@tektronix.com> wrote:

Uh oh. It looks like the OASIS server is now sending out duplicate messages. I'll mention it to our OASIS administrator.

From: bryan.s.schnabel@tektronix.com [mailto:bryan.s.schnabel@tektronix.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 11, 2010 2:08 PM
To: arle@lisa.org; ysavourel@translate.com; xliff-inline@lists.oasis-open.org

Hi all,

I like the new wording for a).

And I know the example was not meant to be included in the actual requirements. But if we were going to include an example, I would make a case to make it also comply with requirement 18 (which I recently proposed), that says for well-formed XML input that does not span segments (like this sample, "I like <i>italics</i>."), it is best practice to preserve the inline XML element as an XML node.

So I would rather see an example of the XLIFF that preserves the node.

Not like this:
XLIFF: I like <XLIFFtagOfSomeSort/>italics<XLIFFtagOfSomeSort/>.

But rather like this:
XLIFF: I like <XLIFFtagOfSomeSort>italics</XLIFFtagOfSomeSort>.

Now if the source was, say, RTF:
{\insrsid12611904 \hich\af35\dbch\af11\loch\f35 I like }
{\i\insrsid12611904\charrsid12611904 \hich\af35\dbch\af11\loch\f35 italics}
{\insrsid11469172 \par }

I'd be less picky about preserving the inline as an XML node.

I know my hair-splitting is off-topic for requirement 12. Forgive me for trying to set the stage for requirement 18.

Thanks,

Bryan