Subject: Personal Action Item to Review the existing Requirements

Hi Yves/all,

I took a personal action item away from Yves' comment on the progress of th=
e inline markup subcommittee: Please review the existing requirements.

Thus, here are a couple of comments (apologies if these comments have alrea=
dy been made by others, I might not have caught all mails related to the to=
pic).

Best regards,
Christian

Aside: I had to join the "inline" group in order to be able to post. Unfortunately,
I will not be able to contribute on a regular basis. Hopefully, that's alright in
terms of the OASIS rules.
==

1. I would tend to rephrase =20

      http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xliff/OneContentModel#OneContentModel.2BAC=
8-Requirements.Mustallowtoassociatespansofcontentwithmetadata

	From my understanding, the requirement is to associate meta data with the =
generic inline markup, not with a span.

2. I would tend to rephrase

   http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xliff/OneContentModel#OneContentModel.2BAC8-R=
equirements.Mustbeabletoidentifyuniquelyaninlinecodewithinasegment.28.3Csou=
rce.3Eand.2BAC8-or.3Ctarget.3EinXLIFF1.2or.3Cseg.3EinTMX.29
  =20
   I understand that the focus is on XLIFF and TMX. However, from my unders=
tanding the generic inline markup may also find usage scenarios outside of =
XLIFF and TMX.

3. I am a bit unsure about

	http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xliff/OneContentModel#OneContentModel.2BAC8-Req=
uirements.Mustbeabletostoreadisplay-friendlyrepresentationofaninlinecodefor=
informationalpurpose

	The reason is the "must be able to". From my point-of-view, this introduce=
s a degree of freedom (i.e. you can do it but don't have to).
	Thus, the door for inconsistent handling/implementation is opened.

4. Requirements

	http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xliff/OneContentModel#OneContentModel.2BAC8-Req=
uirements.Mustbeabletostoreatext-equivalentrepresentationofaninlinecodeforl=
inguisticprocesses

	http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xliff/OneContentModel#OneContentModel.2BAC8-Req=
uirements.ShouldbeabletorepresentillegalXMLcharactersinthecontent

	have caused me to revisit my understanding of "inline markup". So far, I o=
nly had "genuine" markup (e.g. italics, or bookmarks) on my list. Now, I se=
e that "special characters" (eg. for hotkeys/accelerator keys) and "illegal=
 characters" should also be covered. I suggest to make this clear in an int=
roductory section (possibly the "glossary/terminology" section)

5. Unfortunately, I am not clear about

	http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xliff/OneContentModel#OneContentModel.2BAC8-Req=
uirements.Mustbeabletoassociatethesamecodesbetweenthesourceandthetargetsegm=
ents

6. I am tempted to suggest an additional "Guiding Principle"

	Wherever possible, data categories or representation mechanisms from other=
 standards should be considered. Example:

	http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xliff/OneContentModel#OneContentModel.2BAC8-Req=
uirements.Inlinecodesshouldhaveawaytostoreinformationabouttheeffectontheseg=
mentation

	from my understanding is clearly related to W3C ITS "elementsWithinText". =
Thus, "elementsWithinText" needs to be considered
	for this requirement.