Subject: [xliff-inline] Teleconference - Nov-9-2010 ACTION ITEM "Iinitialdefinition for "what we code in the XLIFF content"

Hi Yves/all,

I got the action item

	ACTION ITEM: Christian to try to get an initial definition for "what we code in the XLIFF content".

My current thinking is that what we are trying to do is the following:

	1. Create a conceptual model that represents concepts/entities along with their features/properties and relationships
	2. Create a representation for the conceptual model

As of now, from my understanding the following classes of concepts/entities have been mentioned with respect to "generic inline markup":

	a. entities which belong to the original (e.g. inline markup like "em") - we could call them "genuine" inline entities
	b. entities which supplement/augment the original;annotations that are not available in the original - we could call them "supplementary" entities

In addition to the aforementioned classes, the following types of concepts/entities have been mentioned so far:

	a. "illegal/non-XML" characters
	b. "special" characters (e.g. & or [] for hotkeys/ accelerator keys)

Upon second thought, I am not sure that we will be able to come up with a good, universal definition of "special" characters. I am under the impression that each usage scenario may have its own definition of what is special. Thus, I suggest that we do not talk about "special" characters.

If we want to represent any of this, we need a "carrier" (e.g. something that represents the "em" we had in the original). This "carrier" could come in two flavours:

	1. attached to the material to which it pertains

		Example: In

			You need a new <quote its:term="yes">motherboard</quote>

		the information that "motherboard" is a term is attached to "motherboard".

	2. detached from the material to which it pertains

		Example: In

			<text xmlns:its="http://www.w3.org/2005/11/its"; >
 				<its:rules version="1.0">
				  <its:termRule selector="//term" term="yes" termInfoRefPointer="@target"/>
 				</its:rules>
 as <gloss xml:id="TDPV">the relationship, expressed through discourse structure, between the implied author or some other addresser, and the fiction.</gloss>
			</text>

		The information that "discoursal point of view" is a term is detached from it (namely contained in "its:termRule).

Putting this all together, I think that we are trying to do the following when we discuss the implementation of generic inline markup:

	Suggest a representation for
		- genuine inline entities
		- supplementary entities related to inline entities
		- surrogate entities to represent "illegal/non-XML" characters
	The representation may be attached or detached from the material to which it pertains.

Cheers,
Christian