Subject: RE: [xliff-inline] Various XML constructs in inline content

> For PIs generated during the XLIFF file creation
> process, wouldn't an XLIFF reader have to support
> preserving the PIs, since PIs are a standard XML item?
> The XML Specification states (http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#sec-pi):
> "PIs are not part of the document's character data, but
> MUST be passed through to the application."

The XML parser must pass them through to the application, which then do what it wants with them.
I was assuming an XLIFF reader is already an application.

The problem with preserving PIs in inline content is that a tool would have to keep track of them. But I suppose they could be passed as some kind of annotation, just like a marker for a term, or a comment for instance.

What I'm a bit concerned about is that tools start using PIs for placing extensions.

But I suppose also that, once processed, there is not many differences between an extension in a general-purpose inline marker, and a PI. For example, the mapping for the two notations below would probably be very similar.

<target>My <?myFlagStart?>translated<?myFlagEnd?> text</target>

Hmmm... I guess this needs more thinking.
-ys