Subject: RE: [xliff-inline] 1.15. Should be able to represent illegal XMLcharacters in the content

Hi,

Comments below ...

Cheers,
Christian

-----Original Message-----
From: Yves Savourel [mailto:ysavourel@enlaso.com]
Sent: Donnerstag, 4. August 2011 06:30
To: xliff-inline@lists.oasis-open.org

One of our requirements is to be able to represent invalid XML characters.

If you recall, we looked at different options early on.
We basically said the character should be represented by a code, without being more specific.

We could:

a) represent it as a placeholder, using the normal element for placeholder. But then we would still have to be able to represent its "original data".

Or b) have a dedicated element for it, like Qt's TS and LDML (http://unicode.org/reports/tr35/#Escaping_Characters) do.

To me, it feels that a dedicated element would the most interoperable way to do it.
Having a common notation would allow tools to escape back when reading the XLIFF document, in case they want to use the raw character in their context.

The LDML choice looks fine to me: <cp hex='the Unicode code-point in hexa'/>

A few additional questions:

- can we use the same notation in the original data storage? Or should it be a tool-specific task to come up with one?

CL> I would be in favor of having this standardized as well.

- I assume we should just forbid invalid chars in other constructs like attribute values (e.g. display representation), is that a correct assumption?

CL> I would benefit from one or two examples.

Cheers,
-ys