Subject: RE: [xliff-inline] Various XML constructs in inline content

Hi,

I wonder if we need to split the discussion between a basic requirement, and a more advanced one:

1.       Basic:

Whenever the native format of an XLIFF file is XML, XLIFF-related processes have to ensure that the original XML (including any processing instructions and XML comments) can

be reconstructed. Any information that is needed for this reconstruction has to be part of the XLIFF file (as opposed for example to being part of an external skeleton file).

2.       Advanced:

The XLIFF representation for processing instructions and XML comments is the one for “generic inline markup”

Cheers,

Christian

From: David Walters [mailto:waltersd@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Dienstag, 2. August 2011 14:41
To: Yves Savourel
Cc: xliff-inline@lists.oasis-open.org

I'm glad we agree on how to handle processing instructions in the original source files.

For PIs generated during the XLIFF file creation process, wouldn't an XLIFF reader have to support preserving the PIs, since PIs are a standard XML item? The XML Specification states (http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#sec-pi): "PIs are not part of the document's character data, but MUST be passed through to the application."

David

Corporate Globalization Tool Development
EMail: waltersd@us.ibm.com
Phone: (507) 253-7278, T/L:553-7278, Fax: (507) 253-1721

CHKPII: http://w3-03.ibm.com/globalization/page/2011
TM file formats: http://w3-03.ibm.com/globalization/page/2083
TM markups: http://w3-03.ibm.com/globalization/page/2071

Inactive hide details for Yves Savourel ---08/02/2011 01:02:28 AM---Hi David, all, > With respect to processing instructions. IYves Savourel ---08/02/2011 01:02:28 AM---Hi David, all, > With respect to processing instructions. It seems like just

Yves Savourel <ysavourel@enlaso.com>

<xliff-inline@lists.oasis-open.org>

08/02/2011 01:02 AM

RE: [xliff-inline] Various XML constructs in inline content

Hi David, all,

> With respect to processing instructions. It seems like just
> stripping them out could have a negative effect when
> the translated text is integrated with the skeleton file.
> It seems more reasonable that XLIFF should require that
> processing instructions should be converted to standard
> XLIFF inline elements so that processing instructions
> can be preserved during the translation process.

Maybe we are talking about two different things here:

I think that you may be saying: if an original XML file has processing instructions, when extracting the file to XLIFF, those PIs should be converted to inline elements. (and I agree: that makes sense. And the same goes possibly for comments)

I was assuming that conversion above was always done. And I was talking about PIs that would be generated during the XLIFF output. In other words, PIs that are not from the original extracted file, but some type of tool-specific inline information that tool would rely on to merge things back.

Such PI shouldn't exist, but if an XLIFF reader finds one, it should strip it out (and possibly even generate some warning/error?)

Is that what you have in mind too?
-yves