Subject: RE: [xliff-inline] Sample for metadata inline representation

Here is a first shot.
In this representation I'm going for one generic element: <mrk>

It would have the following attributes:

- a mandatory 'type' attribute with the following values: trans, notrans, term, comment. And allow custom values in the form "x-value" (or maybe "xyz:value" to go in the direction of using namespaces for values)

- an optional 'idRef' attribute that points to an element inside the <unit> that hold additional information about the span of content associated with the given type.

The main drawback of this, I think, is that any extra information beyond the type has to be fetched from outside the content. Probably not a big issue as long as all in kept in the unit.

<unit id='1'>
 <segment>

</segment>
 <segment>

 </segment>

 <termDefs>
  <termDef id='t1'>Info about the term 'modern novel'</termDef>
 </termDefs>

 <comments>
  <comment id='c1' origin='author'>Comments about the two cited stories.</comment>
  <comment id='c2' origin='translator'>Translator's comments.</comment>
 </comments>

 <xyz:annotation id='cust1' type='book-title'>Some info about the Epic of Gilgamesh</xyz:annotation>
 <xyz:annotation id='cust2' type='book-title'>Some info about the Story of Sinuhe</xyz:annotation>

</unit>

Marker by marker:

--a) "faux pas" should be marked as not-to-be-translated.

I've used <mrk type='notrans'>, we would have also a type='trans' to indicate a span should be translated.

--b) "modern novel" ("roman moderne") should be marked as a term and have some associated information/definition.

I've used <mrk type='term' idRef='t1'> so the element 't1' hold the term-specific metadata, like definitions, source, example, reference to more info, etc.

--c) "Epic of Gilgamesh" ("Épopée de Gilgamesh") should have a reference to a custom information indicating it's a "book title" and holding information about that work.

I've used <mrk type='xyz:book-title' idRef='cust1'>. The value of type is custom, using a namespace prefix to allow more flexibility than just a 'x-value' pattern. (at the same time, this allows to have different values in different namespace to mean the same things, which is not too good...)

--d) "Story of Sinuhe" ("Histoire de Sinouhé") should have a reference to a custom information indicating it's a "book title" and holding information about that work.

Same as c).

--e) "the Epic of Gilgamesh. There is also the Story of Sinuhe." ("l'Épopée de Gilgamesh. Il y a aussi l'Histoire de Sinouhé.") should be a span referring to an author comment about both stories.

--f) "Gilgamesh" should be marked up as a "proper noun".

I've used <mrk type='abc:proper-noun'> assuming there is a namespace 'abc' that provides part-of-speech values.

--g) "Sinuhe" ("Sinouhé") should be marked up as a "proper noun".

Same as f).

--h) "l'origine du roman modern" should be associated with a translator comment.

I've used <mrk type='note' idRef='c2'>, the origin would be define in the element we are pointing to. We would have the requirement for the container to have some origin information and provide a list of the values.
I'm not too sure about this. It's hard to see where the inline markup information should stop.

That's all for now.
-yves