Subject: RE: [xliff-inline] Representing information for the starting/ending/standalone parts

Hi Yves, Christian, and SC,

> I'm guessing Bryan is very much in favor . . .
> What about others?

While we wait for the opinions others, I have a few thoughts. My lurking leads me to understand the options as (numeration added by me):

And for the record, yes, I prefer (2) or (3), and I admit, have absolutely no love for (1).

And I don't think I agree with, or maybe just don't understand the first bullet under "Pro of eliminating <pc>:"

> - It simplifies the implementation to a great extend:
> No need to find out if the code has a corresponding
> opening/closing in the same segment.

I don't think eliminating <pc> simplifies the implementation for the reason you give. In fact, I think if you have a well-formed <pc> with start and end tags, there could be no confusion about whether or not you had a pair in the segment; you would know you have a pair.

Finally, in my experience (processing documentation and firmware in and out of XLIFF), the need to cross segments has been a very rare corner case (i.e., we are picking the uglier representation to accommodate the more infrequent use case). This, of course, could be challenged by people who have experience to the contrary.

I very much agree that it would be very good to hear the opinions of others.

Thank Yves and Christian for shedding further light on this important topic.

- Bryan