Subject: Attribute uniqueness

Hi everyone,

Working with Rodolfo on the draft specification I realize that his plan is to have, like in version 1.2, unique attribute names. For example (in 1.2) a 'type' attribute is 'ctype' when in <bpt> and 'mtype' when in <mrk>, or an identifier is 'id' in <trans-unit> and 'mid' in <mrk> (although it's 'id' in <bpt>).

I think the idea is to have one attribute name per different semantic usage, so we can have a list of attribute and each one has a single definition and list of values. It's actually not quite respected in 1.2 (e.g. <trans-unit> and <bpt> use both 'id' despite the fact they have different scopes).

The opposite view would be to allow the context of where the attribute lives to make the distinction. For example a 'type' in <ph> and a 'type' in <mrk> would be named both 'type' but have local definitions pertaining to their respective elements.

In my opinion using the context seems more clear than forcing artificial names. That's what format like HTML do: the 'value' attribute in HTML5 for example has 5 different semantics and is used in 7 elements, but it's called 'value' everywhere.

But I understand the other viewpoint too, different names makes the documentation easier to structure, and may help some users.

QUESTION: So, what you think should be the way to go?

Note that this would have a consequence on our attribute naming for the start/end cases.

Cheers,
-yves