Subject: RE: [xliff-inline] Splitting non-clonable codes

Hi Andrew,

Most tools would not need to care. It is only used to record that a transformation was done so that it can at a later stage be undone. If the tool perform this transform it need to handle the attribute. If the tool does not handle the attribute and the fact that another tool performed the transform on its tag it would most likely error out.

The main case I see is when we need to segment in the middle of a spanning tag and later need to undo the split. As you say, this would not be needed if all tools support both methods. But in my experience that is unlikely to happen. Especially extraction / back conversion tools developed by non CAT tool developers (customers) often require the document to follow a strict subset and any deviation is a blocking problem. In these cases it might be that you sub segment the document as part of your processing and then merge back the segments to the initial segmentation when returning the files. Here it would be useful to be able to also undo the tag conversion. To know which tags need to be changed and which to leave alone some indicator is needed. This is especially true if you use a chain of unrelated tools to do the processing.

<unit>
  <segment>
  </segment>
</unit>

<unit>
  <segment>
  </segment>
  <ignorable>
    <source> </source>
  </ignorable>
  <segment>
  </segment>
</unit>

Since we need to be able to break the <pc> into a pair for this type of segmentation operation when the tag is not clone/copyable the question was raised if we should simply allow it to be done in other cases too.

Regards,
Fredrik Estreen